Kaikoura diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aosteen

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have the chance to go diving in Kaikoura for one day...suggestions? I think swimming with seals and dolphins would be pretty sweet (I heard that's an option.) Do you suggest that or perhaps some other local sites?

If you've only got one day then you'd be best to check out an operator in the area as the place can be very fickle weatherwise and heading out in a boat will most likely give you more options than you'd get doing shore dives (though the shore diving there is very good).

You ideally want to get there after a bit of a dry spell and in Northwest wind conditions.

2 hours north gets you into the Marlborough sounds which has less weather dependant diving as a plus but less vibrant sealife. It's a long way south from Kaikoura before you hit good diving again if sightseeing is your plan (hunting on the other hand has more options).

The seal swimming/ swimming with dolphins tends to be separate to the diving, but I'd recommend going there if you have the chance. Depends what you're most keen on seeing; you'll probably see seals from the dive site, but there are dedicated trips to snorkel with them. Dolphins are very rare on the dive sites (but have seen them there once - the instructors had never seen them that close to shore). Dolphin trips are amazing; if I were you I would do that plus try to fit in a dive around that - probably do-able in a day. The main operator is Dive Kaikoura, think thre's another one but don't know the name.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom