Kankakee Park District Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure where you live. France Park in Indiana has diving and would be reasonably close if you live on the South Side. It also has a SCUBA "Pro Shop" on premises for air fills and such. If you live more to the north Devils Lake State Park in WI. also allows diving. Nice lake to dive although viz can be variable. Contact Three Little Devils Dive Shop which is located right outside the north park entrance for more information.

As far as diving strip mines from parks in or around Kankakee I have heard of this but have never talked to anyone who has ever done it. I think it is probably one of those urban legends that get started.

I have also heard of a quarry near the IL./WI. line with a train in it. Again, I have not ever been able to verify the existence of this site. Doesn't mean it isn't there, just that I can't confirm either way. Can anyone else shed some light on this?

Hope this helps.

FYI...Three Little Devils is closing up shop. Just learned this yesterday.

I used to Dive Devils lake all the time, but not in the last couple years. I certainly wouldn't make a long drive to do so as there is virtually nothing to see in there. Maybe...6 fish total. :)

Just an FYI for those unfamiliar with the place, Lake Wazee in Black River Falls, WI is an awesome place to dive and only 4 hours away from Chicago. Crystal clear waters, the deeper you go the clearer it gets, especially early in the season. Depending on which side you dive, you will see an underwater forrest or a tiered wall. There is some fish, lots if you do a night dive. Depth ranges from 15ft to 355ft...I've only gone to 175ft. $10 to get in and two dive shops with fills, air, nitrox or trimix available within 3 miles of the quarry. I highly recommend this place to anyone with a drysuit. I go there several times a year...always a good time.

Bonne Terre has been on my list of places to visit, but just haven't been able to make it there. It's not 'cheap' either.

I still want to go too. One of my db said they heard it was not worth it. But most of the people I talk to about it say they like it and have gone back again.

I still want to go too. One of my db said they heard it was not worth it. But most of the people I talk to about it say they like it and have gone back again.

I finally had the chance to dive Bonne Terre back on Jan 30-31. I felt it was worth the money and would do it again. It's not the kind of site I'd hit 2-3 times a year due to distance (6 hrs for me) and cost, but it is a very neat dive site. The walls, arches, tunnels and caverns provide some very impressive vistas.

I plan on going back in future years to dive some of the more advanced trails.

I finally had the chance to dive Bonne Terre back on Jan 30-31.

Was this with Divers Supply Indy West? I went to their January meeting the week before and Lonnie and a few others had invited me/us (the Kokomo group) to join them on their dive trip that same weekend.

Thank you very much for your replies. I am very interested in the shore dive off Hammond. Ive also been wanting to try Bonne Terre mine, but it is so expensive. They also make you do certain dives in order. So if you go with the same db youre allright, but if you bring anyone new he/she has to do dive 1 again. fyi...strip mines are not like Bonne Terre mines. Strip mines are lakes.

I am very interested in the shore dive off Hammond.
I did a couple dives there last summer with a group from the Valpo area. We didn't see/find the wreck. If nothing else it was a cheap place to get wet and dive along the break wall.
I have to admit tho...it was kind of strange to see the huge factories off in the distance.

fyi...strip mines are not like Bonne Terre mines. Strip mines are lakes.
Thanks.

FYI...Three Little Devils is closing up shop. Just learned this yesterday.

I used to Dive Devils lake all the time, but not in the last couple years. I certainly wouldn't make a long drive to do so as there is virtually nothing to see in there. Maybe...6 fish total. :)

I'm sorry to hear that Little Devils is closing up! I actually had a nice time diving Devils Lake. If you do a camping/diving experience, and add a hike up the bluff, it is a nice vacation. I received my most fierce fish attack there! A black crappie faced me down and attacked my mask! A true "Jaws" moment!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom