Kayak "must haves"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Mike.
I am getting an OK Trident 11. Not one of the more popular diving kayaks, but the price was right and it should work fine.

Thanks Mike.
I am getting an OK Trident 11. Not one of the more popular diving kayaks, but the price was right and it should work fine.

ok... that's a "Sit on top" so not as much worries about installing air bags since in theory the hull is sealed except for storage hatches

210291439_SUNRISE_2x4_v1_m56577569830748705.jpg

However if the storage hatch just opens into a "big area", it's not a bad idea to still push some air bags into the cavitys that aren't used for storage and use the bags to add flotation and displace water in case it floods.

btw... I searched and found an image of a yak that has a "security lock ring" on it. look for the steel loop/ring just aft of the seat.

this comes standard on some kayaks, but not all. It all allows you to lock you kayak to your car (or to something outside) with a steel lock cable (or bike cable) to keep people from walking off with your kayak. great for leaving on your car overnight at a hotel.

you can buy these rings and install them easily yourself. they are fairly cheap. I think you can get them at NRS (but they block NRS website at work).

1stdirect_2063_16112591

11" is a pretty small kayak. I would recommend something in the 13' range like this one REI is also offering 15% off if purchased in a package deal. Not sure if that applies to the kayaks already on sale though, but should apply to accessories.

I used two part foam, that cost $29.00, and maybe added 2-3 pounds to my kayak. Not much weight, but it hopefully strengthened my peddle assembly, and created a barrier so my gear stays put. For me it was the ideal way, but it is a messy job and requires a project minded person. If my hull cracks, it is under warranty for 5 years. Pool noodles are the easiest and cheapest especially if you can get them for around $6.00 for 6 of them. The downfall with the inflatable deals is they take up a lot of room, but they definitely serve their purpose well.

The anchor chain will pretty much hold a kayak or boat in place and the anchor is hardly used, under normal conditions. The chain does help keep the rope from chaffing, but more importantly it keeps the anchor flat on the bottom so it can dig in. Without it the anchor will be pulled upwards and could drag. Scope (The amount of line let out in relation to the water depth) is one of the most important parts of anchoring and something that is often too short. You need a good amount out to keep the anchor flat on the bottom. Anchoring Techniques.htm

For the pump It seems to have a bad review there but is also one of the only pumps with a stainless shaft instead of plastic. I have never needed it and hope never to need it, but when tested it pumps well.

You can get a Thule rack system for around $220.00. I typically buy that stuff from ebay or REI when they have a 20% off coupon. I have three Thule racks with one being a T2 bike rack and have been happy with all of them. Yakima seems to be higher priced but either brand would work. I actually went wider than my car calls for with the bars so it will easily hold two kayaks. Gotta watch the head though!

Peter, the prowler is probably the most common/popular one around here. But, since that choice was already taken, I went for second best. I agree the 11' is a little small, but for my first yak, this may be a lesson learned. Also, don't know if it matters or not, but being a shorty myself, maybe we will match! :) I slpke to one of the guys at the shop where I am picking up the yak, and he said while the Trident is not the most popular now, it used to be very popular with divers, and I should be happy with the choice. Live and learn. Will see. Not backing out of the deal at this time.

Jenny-- Personally I do not wear my PFD. There is a chance (i suppose) of falling out of the yak and it getting blown away from me.. then I'd be adrift without a pfd....

I rig my anchor so that if the yak capsizes it will deploy.

I am just working out how to put all the lobsters in/ on the yak. I am need to take some measurements and shop for a cooler to wedge under my rear round hatch.

new here, but been diving of ft lauderdale on kayak for 5 yrs.

I use folding grapling hook anchor (very small) w/ yellow pollypropolie (floating) line. I never (rarely) anchor, but pull the kayak.

run some line around the kayak so you can clip things to it. everything should have a clip. you can add eyes to the kayak w/ pop rivit gun. I also have several bungy cords on the kayak, and use them to hold stuff down. also some bungy balls for the paddle.

I have my paddle on a simple 10' line tied to the line running around the kayak. I also carry a small cooler and pelican dry box (w/ hand held gps, and license). flag goes in the front and I tie a pfd to the bow.

I also trail a line so I can tie my tank to the kayak when I get in, then pull it aboard.

enter and exit surf is trickiest and most dangerous (other than boat traffic).

I've flipped in the surf. but everything was clipped on, so no problems.

GL!

Mr Bill I also use a small grapple. I got it as a gift about seven years ago when I was canoing the St Johns and Peace rivers. It works great. I also saw some annchor line 50' at Walmart last night for $6.00 complete with spliced clips.

I have been stowing my tank while I am in the water by putting it in the well. I tilt the yak toward me stick it in and roll the yak back. I found this easier for me as each time I reach over to pull my rig aboard I get real close to tipping tilt.

Countdown to K day...5!!!!! Got to wait an extra day B/C somebody has to work.. awwh well, it will be worth the wait....

I am thinking I need the PFD just to get out of the store on Sunday as I will be using the kayak immediately and trying different paddles. Me thinks the store will be kinda strict on the PFD thing...
Mr.Bill, like the idea of running a line around the kayak and clipping off from there. Do you worry about it fraying or rotting in the sun/salt water?
I have been using some 99¢ pink n white braided nylon line from Harbor Freight for my dive flag with out any problems, would think it would work just fine.

Jenny, you can get a SUPER cheap PFD at Bass Pro. Don't get the front mount orange kind, they are awful for paddling, but you can get a really cheap jacket style and don't forget to bring your rewards card! You need to have a whistle too but you probably have one.

Your yak may already have deck lines...mine does.

p.s. I'll bring my own paddle and PFD (with mandatory whistle attached) along with my yak for Julie for Sunday. You'll probably want to bring a picnic lunch and beverages because you'll be there for a few hours while I'm diving w/Conch.

I personally don't agree with getting a "cheap PFD" for paddling.

if you're not going to wear it, then it's not a big deal how comfort/fit are. (as you just clip them on your yak. ) but if you are and paddling all day, the cheap ones will "rub" your arms typically.

they make special PFD's for kayaking to avoid this. I've got one and never want to wear a cheap one again for paddling. (Just my opinion).

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom