Kayak "must haves"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got a PFD. The cheaper ones were bland, and if I have to wear one, I want to be seen. It is lemon yellow. The paddle keeper looks easy enough to make that I decided to forego the $9.99 price tag for a DIY. Anybody got a heat gun for the shrinky part? :D

I enjoy building stuff myself too :)

A hair dryer will not work, but flame will! A small torch, a cigarette lighter, or even a gas stove should work. Work slow and keep the flame moving.

Cool Beans. Where do I get the heat shrink thingys?

Harbor Freight is probably the cheapest place to purchase heat shrink tubing. Any electronics store will also have heat shrink tubing. I buy it in 3' long pieces and have not had to buy the stuff in years, so I have no idea what cost is. Sometimes it is cheaper to purchase the pre-made product as alluded to above. When I bought my kayak they threw the paddle leash in along with the anchor and a few other goodies. Of course there was no discount.

Dang! Here I am thinking that heat shrink stuff can't cost more than about 10¢ each...

I used electrical tie-wraps when I made one.

Harbor Freight is probably the cheapest place to purchase heat shrink tubing. Any electronics store will also have heat shrink tubing. I buy it in 3' long pieces and have not had to buy the stuff in years, so I have no idea what cost is. Sometimes it is cheaper to purchase the pre-made product as alluded to above. When I bought my kayak they threw the paddle leash in along with the anchor and a few other goodies. Of course there was no discount.

Harbor Freight is my friend. One just so happens to be less than a mile from my house! Now to find a cheap place to get the stretchy stuff...like you make the octo necklace with...I got a bunch up at the dive shop down the road from Ginnie Springs a few years ago. I wanted 5 ft. She spooled out about 20 and admitted she didn't know how long 5 ft was....:shakehead:

I wanted 5 ft. She spooled out about 20 and admitted she didn't know how long 5 ft was....:shakehead:

:rofl3:

Bungee cord is available at West Marine, and many other places.

Why not just whip the ends with thread?

'Cause that would be too easy?? :wink: I am thinking maybe one of my dog leashes is perfect! Duh! A 5ft. nylon leash with a loop at one end and a replaceable snap at the other cost $4.99.. hmmmm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom