kayak wheels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedog1

Reaction score
need some kayak wheels for my sit on top; rocks, sand and rugged northern cal trails. i've seen many products, but what works the best? thanks

First of all, we need to understand that Kayaks DON'T HAVE WHEELS. A kayak is a BOAT (just kidding).

I built a sea kayak a few years ago and was taking it out to the outer banks on vacation and didn't want to lug it across 100 yards of sand to get to the water, so I built a set of wheels for it from the rear wheels of a kids "Big Wheel" trike. Those little trikes usually wear out the front wheel, or break at the forks, and the rear wheels are fine. Took the Rear wheels from a broken one, along with the axle and caps that hold the wheels on. Then I bent a couple pieces of scrap aluminum conduit to bow shapes to make the rack the boat sat in. A couple pieces of rope to attach the boat, and I was in business.

Used it ONCE.

Well, as you note, there are many varieties. In general, there are two categories - the ones with hard rubber tires and the ones with inflateable tires. I've used the ones with hard rubber tires, but only because I was only going over pavement and wanted to be able to stow them in the hold (they are smaller). As you may have already surmised, you definately need the inflateable tire ones. I've seen some nice ones at REI (rei.com). Most of the ones in this category go for between $90 and $130. Since you have a plastic kayak, I would pay attention to the parts that are going to come in contact with your kayak. Maybe avoid ones that look like they would putting alot of pressure against your kayak with a metal bar (you don't want to dent your nice kayak).

thanks all. just got the roleez wheels. they look well built and should do the job. my kayak is 57lbs, plus gear; carrying it is a pain even for 2 people unless its a short distance.

If it was just a beach then the commercially available wheels would work fine, but if your talking rough trails definately just portage it. If you have a buddy then it shouldn't be a problem even for two kayaks. Strap on the gear and use the lanyards on each end to carry it.

divedog1 once bubbled...
thanks all. just got the roleez wheels. they look well built and should do the job. my kayak is 57lbs, plus gear; carrying it is a pain even for 2 people unless its a short distance.

Hmmm....

Growing up in Northern Ontario ... and I won't mention Grummond Canoes. My current canoe weighs in at 67lbs (ABS and kevlar skid plates). I've humped it over a 3km rock trail while carrying an 80lb pack.

The portage was too painful to do twice.....

BTW, this is not recommended. do it twice and enjoy the scenary.

Wheels would not have helped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom