Keep reminding people: Don't rent scooters and don't dive without DAN accident insurance!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Certainly look into records with Cozumel. They might not be complete, but would be much better than speculating on the internet. If you are unable to research accurate information then I would suggest not commenting.
I have asked twice, but since you have not named other sources of information I am going to infer you don't know any. You are suggesting only the obvious--that we don't "rely" on Internet forums as our sole source of information about scooters in Cozumel--and that doesn't seem helpful to me. I wouldn't rely on Internet forums as my sole source of information about ANY topic, and I doubt others here do either.

Thank you, @lionfish-eater and @ggunn for pointing to poresto.net articles. I recall having seen other discussions in which articles from Por Esto were posted. I probably should make a habit of reading Por Esto now and then. I'm more of a mainland visitor these days than Coz, but Por Esto seems to cover the wider region.

My Español is muy malo, but the picture looks pretty bad; is that a dead person under the sheet in the foreground?
They were driving too fast and hit a concrete pole and one of them died on scene (instantly) while the other in critical condition. Apparently, there were 4 more deaths that week it states due to "traffic accidents".

The only evidence I have is anecdotal but it's not nothing. The people at the ER on Cozumel a few years ago (when we took my brother in to be sewed up after his second scooter accident) told us that scooter crashes are the most common cause of ER visits by vacationing gringos. In my circle of friends and acquaintances four people have been in serious accidents on motos in Mexico; one of them (my dentist) was killed and another (the son of a friend of mine) will live with the effects of the crash for the rest of his life. One of them (a charter fishing boat captain) is a Cozumel native who has been driving motos on the island for many years; he was nearly killed but he recovered.

If I research a Teric’s reliability on here, it will be questionable. Then they loyalist will say there are 10’s of thousands that are perfectly fine but you don’t hear about them. This is no different, I would guess there are a large number of scooters rented and you won’t hear about those that come out unscathed. Is a scooter more dangerous than a car? Probably.

I do not think other people's accidents on scooters, bikes or cars matters as if it did, I'd probably never go anywhere or do anything.
Is a scooter more dangerous than a car? Probably.
It's an absolute certainty. But other people's accidents and/or deaths (even friends) have never stopped me from participating in the same activities.

If I research a Teric’s reliability on here, it will be questionable. Then they loyalist will say there are 10’s of thousands that are perfectly fine but you don’t hear about them. This is no different, I would guess there are a large number of scooters rented and you won’t hear about those that come out unscathed. Is a scooter more dangerous than a car? Probably.
I don't know what a Teric is, but the number of scooter accidents in the relatively small number of people I know would suggest that there are a lot of them.

EXCELLENT ADVISE Don !! I ride a motorcycle and have put 100,000's of miles on them in the states and I would not rent a scooter in Cozumel or any other place for that matter. I've seen the same accidents that are previously mentioned in Jamaica and Bermuda. Stay off of the scooters...

Against what seems to be popular opinion, I'm gonna vote for scooter rental. I have rented in numerous islands and Coz was same as all of them as far as how people drive. DR and margarita island are absolute worst I experienced.

I have been on motorcycles since I was 13 and I live and ride in NJ. I can see how those not used to congested areas with aggressive drivers will get hurt easily but it isn't a death wish to rent a scooter if you know how to ride

Against what seems to be popular opinion, I'm gonna vote for scooter rental. I have rented in numerous islands and Coz was same as all of them as far as how people drive. DR and margarita island are absolute worst I experienced.

I have been on motorcycles since I was 13 and I live and ride in NJ. I can see how those not used to congested areas with aggressive drivers will get hurt easily but it isn't a death wish to rent a scooter if you know how to ride
It's not a vote, it's advice for the general tourist. Surely you are not advocating that everyone, irrespective of circumstances, go out and rent a scooter.

It's not a vote, it's advice for the general tourist. Surely you are not advocating that everyone, irrespective of circumstances, go out and rent a scooter.

Cio was just giving another opinion. It started off as a statement saying dont which some obviously disagree.

On average general tourists are not the most experienced riders.
even the most experienced motorcycle drivers should not take scooters out on the island.

I hate these stories. One of two tourists involved in Cozumel scooter accident dies - Riviera Maya News Rental companies will rent scooters to anyone I guess, and I question how well they maintain the scooters, but even the most experienced motorcycle drivers should not take scooters out on the island.

Then there was the diver on FB sharing his hyperbaric chamber story this week. Decades of diving, hundreds of dives, but he forgot to get DAN dive insurance. His home medical insurance won't pay the $30K. His daughter added a GoFundMe link. I am sorry he was hurt, but he knew the risks.

DAN also offers great Trip Insurance, and membership is not required. Most home medical policies do not cover outside of the US, but accidents and medical events happen. GoFundMe is a poor plan.
As an experienced motorcycle rider with over 100,000 miles on two wheels, I survived my near death accident, only because, as one paramedic said to the other, " ... this guy is lucky he is wearing all the right gear ... " I watch tourists who rent scooters in my city of Victoria, B.C. Sandals, skirts, shorts, T-shirts, cheapest helmets, no gloves. I cringe, knowing that if they go down, some serious road pizza will happen. I only had 9 broken ribs, 6 now plated in titanium, broken clavicle, punctured lung, and a concussion; and I had all the right gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom