Keep reminding people: Don't rent scooters and don't dive without DAN accident insurance!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Running a stop sign, that's no bueno anywhere. Lucky they are not both dead.
Years ago a bicyclist blew through a stop sign right in front of me at high speed for a bicycle. I slammed on the brakes and missed him, and he shot me the finger. :confused:

Years ago a bicyclist blew through a stop sign right in front of me at high speed for a bicycle. I slammed on the brakes and missed him, and he shot me the finger. :confused:
That's sounds like a weekly experience when I lived in Seattle. They seemed to go from pedestrian to car without road rules often. I run a car camera full time now because you never know what someone might do, then blame you for.

There was another serious scooter accident yesterday. Tourists on scooter blew a stop sign in the downtown area and crashed into one of those big police trucks that was moving at a high speed on a street where it had the right of way. I recall that its lights were flashing but don't know if it had its siren on. One of the tourists is in critical condition.
And she is going to lose a leg. This drives two out of three points from my original post. Don't play on scooters or travel uninsured as well as have someone with you to tend to the finances. The translation is challenging, but I think that I read that she was moved to the General Hospital where she received inadequate care. Her brother eventually got her to Costamed, but too late to save the leg and they are still desperate for funds.
A YOUNG ARGENTINA WILL BE AMPUTED BY A LEG BECAUSE OF THE COLLASH WITH A PATROL IN COZUMEL. HIS SISTER ASKS FOR HELP WITH HOSPITAL EXPENSES. HIS PARTNER JUST GOT MORE SERIOUS.
Luz Maria Arias, is the name of the tourist of Argentine origin who also ended up seriously injured after being boarded the motorcycle he was traveling with a friend named Darian Stacco.
The accident of them, happened on 20th Avenue with 8th Street North of the colony Centro de Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico, after 18 hours last Saturday.
This Tuesday, Laura María Arias, told that her sister Luz Maria, was transferred to a hospital after the accident, she does not know which one, but that she was not provided medical care for the exposed fracture she had because there were no relatives, nor anyone who was h here will be responsible. That's why at 20 o'clock on Saturday, she was moved to the General Hospital, a public facility, where only the heat and right peroné was given, but they never detected the fracture in the femur.
At the time of the break, the interviewer, was on Isla Mujeres waiting for the bumpy couple after having previously agreed that they would meet at that tourist destination.
However, being notified on Sunday of the incident, he immediately traveled to Cozumel arriving in the afternoon, and made arrangements to transfer his sister to Costamed Clinic, since there were no medicines in the public hospital, and what staff General Hospital the convention for make the move Monday morning and not Sunday night as planned.
In the particular hospital, the diagnosis was a loss for her; to Luz Maria, they would have to amputate her leg for there was no solution, because beyond being hurt, the problem is in the lack of blood irrigation.
Laura Maria, she has no relatives in Mexico. For now it is accompanied by a couple of Argentinian citizens who live in Isla Mujeres, and is asking for help to the community for if someone is in solidarity due to the nightmare they are living, because the monetary figure to pay in the hospital will be high, because the insurance will not it will cover them all.
She brought the account of Azteca Bank 42171310158676 of interbank key 127693013101586768, which opened her friend Gustavo Rodriguez, for the "Concept of Light and Darian Donation", in case citizens of Cozumel or other parts of Quintana Roo, wish help them.
In the case of Darian Stacco, he said he is intubated at San Miguel Hospital, but he has not received special care, who is unconscious, with fracture of ribs that pierced his lungs, fracture in one leg, broken nose , cervical fracture, and inflammation of the brain, after the impact with patrol and against a concrete post.
Simultaneously, their family members are carrying out the collection in Bay Blanca, Argentina, with the purpose of renting a health plane or air ambulance, to transfer their sister and Darian to their country on a flight that lasts from 10 to 12 hours.
He says that in the case of his sister, they explained to him that the damage insurance covers the amount of $30 thousand, but that that that figure is already spent and that the amputation operation will cost 100 thousand dollars, and that he was asked to make a rip this Tuesday bear of 20 thousand dollars, who doesn't have them.
The Directorate of Tourism has supported him with paying for two nights in a hostel, and some people have approached where they are outside Costamed to help them.
She is the only family member who has the injured in Mexico, she would practically be alone if they didn't have the accompanying of two of her acquaintances, and is going through a desperate situation for not having the money to face the expenses.

Her brother eventually got her to Costamed, but too late to save the leg and they are still desperate for funds.
And she is doing better than the guy she was with. Sounds like she might live. Air ambulances cost a bundle.

Air ambulances cost a bundle.
Yep. DAN North America membership covers that for most of us. It's one of the main reasons I nag my daughter about trip insurance when they do their cruises to Mexico. DAN trip insurance is rather competitive.

Reactions: BRT
I was really confused just reading the title why renting a dive scooter was such a bad idea lol. Then I realized this was about urban blight (aka land scooters).

This drives two out of three points from my original post. Don't play on scooters or travel uninsured as well as have someone with you to tend to the finances.
I completely agree with the insurance, but I'd say don't run stop signs anywhere.
DAN trip insurance is rather competitive.
Generali seemed to have better rates/coverage and I'm pretty sure that they are who DAN uses.

At any rate 5% or so of trip cost to me is not too much for coverage.

I think they flew the guy outa here today. His treatment was nada other than basic. Family from Argentina made the arangements.

The girl is going to lose her leg due to lack of treatment, and she'll lose the leg when they can pay to have it wacked off.

This is a sick country that will arrest you for chaining a dog up in the heat but push a human being into the corner and watch them die.

Spend some time here, spend time back in town and look for the folks missing limbs, the folks that have a crooked leg because it was never treated - thank God everyday that you live in a country with some sort of welfare.

I think they flew the guy outa here today. His treatment was nada other than basic. Family from Argentina made the arangements.

The girl is going to lose her leg due to lack of treatment, and she'll lose the leg when they can pay to have it wacked off.

This is a sick country that will arrest you for chaining a dog up in the heat but push a human being into the corner and watch them die.

Spend some time here, spend time back in town and look for the folks missing limbs, the folks that have a crooked leg because it was never treated - thank God everyday that you live in a country with some sort of welfare.
That is sad.
Generali seemed to have better rates/coverage and I'm pretty sure that they are who DAN uses.
DAN's trip insurance is indeed underwritten by Generali as stated on their site, and Generali does have better rates for a trip to Mexico at least. It's interesting that Generali asks where you're going while DAN does not so I guess that they have different rates and/or plans for different countries. For quotes to Mexico, the coverages are not the same, but Generali does seem to offer more medical and accident coverage for less. How about that.

Mexico doesn't have universal health care?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom