Keeping Lobsters Alive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious-- how do people reconcile your love for the ocean and its living things with torturing living beings by locking them up in ice for days and let them die an agonizing death that lasts for days? If you must catch and eat creatures, you should kill them fast and humanely.

:popcorn:

That is a good question, and not to duck it, but I think the answer is far to philosophical for typing in over a web forum and better discussed over a beer, or two.

However, I would venture a guess that the quality of life/care a captured lobster sees over its final days and its ultimate demise is far better then the quality of life terrestrial “protein for the masses” sees over it's entire life.

I think an existential argument can be made about "freedom of choice" for the lobster. :D

BTW - I kept a lobster for two years in a large saltwater tank. It led a happy life(?) and he now resides at the New England aquarium. After keeping the guy for two years I stopped eating Homarus. They are unique critters. However, I cannot stop eating fried clam bellies.

X

BTW- just noticed the PO2 sign on your website!!! I gotta get some stuff from you before the next expedition + I like the lobster you brought to the Mystic aquarium. My condolences on his passing.

However, I cannot stop eating fried clam bellies.

Sure sign of the arrival of spring is that all the clam shacks here in southern RI are open for the season! :D

In fact, I had clamcakes for lunch yesterday. Heart failure should commence shortly.

Just curious-- how do people reconcile your love for the ocean and its living things with torturing living beings by locking them up in ice for days and let them die an agonizing death that lasts for days? If you must catch and eat creatures, you should kill them fast and humanely.

Your opinion was not asked for.

Sure sign of the arrival of spring is that all the clam shacks here in southern RI are open for the season! :D

In fact, I had clamcakes for lunch yesterday. Heart failure should commence shortly.
Try the ones at State Pier #5 (Monahan's) in Narragansett ... best I know.

Just curious-- how do people reconcile your love for the ocean and its living things with torturing living beings by locking them up in ice for days and let them die an agonizing death that lasts for days?

And you KNOW that they are agonizing?

If you must catch and eat creatures, you should kill them fast and humanely.

I guess that with Arizona not exactly being the hot bed of lobster hunting you would not know that many people pith the lobster before cooking.

Ahhh . . . Arizona, the place where people waste billions of gallons of a natural resource and spread as many tons of chemicals to have green lawns in the desert.:confused:

Arguments typically depend on one's point of view.:wink:

Gotta go; gonna go fry up a few chicken larva and a portion of pig for breakfast and then fire up the SUV and head to work.

Dive Safe,
Dennis

Lobster isn't really my thing, I'd rather bag brass or eat blue crabs, but I'll take one if the opportunity arises. The pictures do make for some good sea stories though. I've made a pact with myself to let the big females go and only keep the big males. If you want to see some more BIG lobster pictures you can find them here The BIG lobster page.

01Vin107_small.JPG

Sweet! That guy must have looked as big as a horse down below

I once made the mistake of trying to keep lobsters alive in a cooler full of salt water. Not only did the lobsters almost die, but carrying a cooler full of water up the beach to my truck was quite a workout.

I've found ice works great. If I don't have any ice, I'll pack them in wet seaweed until I can get some ice.

What is the best way to keep your bugs alive and fresh between dives? I would imagine putting them into a cooler or bucket with some salt water and sea grass/weed would work. I haven't got so lucky yet, but hope to! Thanks for the input.
LobstaMan

I store them in melted butter. They don't last very long, but they don't get a chance to spoil either. :cool:

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom