Key Largo Wetsuit Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be diving Key Largo next weekend for the first time. I'm from Michigan so the "thinnest" wetsuit I own is a 5mm. My question is, will I be too warm in that? I am only going to be there for a day and only getting in a few dives, so I would rather not buy a new suit that I will only use once in a blue moon.

My options as I see them right now are:
1. Renting (Though I've never been big on rental gear)
2. Wearing my 5mm and maybe being too warm
3. Buying a 3mm shortie or something similar

Any advice?

I will be diving Key Largo next weekend for the first time. I'm from Michigan so the "thinnest" wetsuit I own is a 5mm. My question is, will I be too warm in that? I am only going to be there for a day and only getting in a few dives, so I would rather not buy a new suit that I will only use once in a blue moon.

My options as I see them right now are:
1. Renting (Though I've never been big on rental gear)
2. Wearing my 5mm and maybe being too warm
3. Buying a 3mm shortie or something similar

Any advice?

Hey AndyM,

Here's a good guide for the water temps.Water Temp Guides. Looks like you'll be OK. if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Diving,

Last edited:
You'll be warm in a 5, but I don't think you will burn up. I am totally with you on rental gear, but when it comes to suits let's face it-what's the big deal? If you want to dive a 3, I suggest renting over buying since you already stated you wouldn't use it often. Why waste the cash? I'm normally a huge advocate of buying over renting (whether it's a snorkel or a house...), but when a person states they won't use it often, buying quickly sounds foolish to me...

I plan on wearing a 7mm farmer john when I'm there next month. Not because I need it but to make myself more buoyant for the steel tank I'm diving. I've dove locally in the quarries in high 70 degree water, I wouldn't worry about being to hot.

but when it comes to suits let's face it-what's the big deal?
Wearing a suit that 300 people have already pissed in. :rofl3:

I wear a 5mm and I use it for all diving in Florida. In the ocean and I am nice and warm NOT hot. I get cold easy too (Florida boy). For spring diving (70-72 degree's) I add a 2 mm vest and I have a 2mm hood. That keeps me fine for at least an hour.

You will be just fine in a 5mm in the Key's. I seriously doubt you'll be hot, but if do just pull on your collar a bit add some fresh water and you'll be good to go.

Wearing a suit that 300 people have already pissed in. :rofl3:

:rofl3: Exactly!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll dive my 5mm that I know fits me and that I know what's been in it. :D

I did 6 dives this weekend in Key Largo. Five dives had a water temp of 79 deg. Some people did not wear a suit. I wore a 1 mil skin and was fine. On one dive, the flower garden it was 73 deg. A little chillie in a 1 mil.

I suspect that you'll be quite comfortable in your 5mm.

Enjoy!

This coming from the guy that dove in a 3mm with a 3mm shorty over top and a hood in January of 2006! :D

Brent.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom