Key West Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The worst experience I've ever had in Key West was with Subtropic. These guys are not running a safe operations - they took us out on a very windy day with less than 10 feet underwater visibility and turbulent seas. They promised that we would be refunded if the captain cancelled the dive on site. We went in the water and after 3 minutes the dive master (who apparently wasn't the dive supervisor and was just diving "for fun") came out. We went back to the shop where we were told that only half of our money would be refunded since the captain didn't actually cancel the dive. They charged us $100 for 3 minutes underwater and almost 2 hours on their very small dive boat.

If you ever go to Key West, FL make sure to avoid this operation. The island has many other diving businesses with larger boats and safer practises. I can also confidently say that other dive operations will have employees that treat their customers professionally with respect.

The worst experience I've ever had in Key West was with Subtropic. These guys are not running a safe operations - they took us out on a very windy day with less than 10 feet underwater visibility and turbulent seas. They promised that we would be refunded if the captain cancelled the dive on site. We went in the water and after 3 minutes the dive master (who apparently wasn't the dive supervisor and was just diving "for fun") came out. We went back to the shop where we were told that only half of our money would be refunded since the captain didn't actually cancel the dive. They charged us $100 for 3 minutes underwater and almost 2 hours on their very small dive boat.

If you ever go to Key West, FL make sure to avoid this operation. The island has many other diving businesses with larger boats and safer practises. I can also confidently say that other dive operations will have employees that treat their customers professionally with respect.

wow... you haven't been on the board and posted for almost a year and you come back today and your only new post is to dig up this 6 month old post? :popcorn:

wow... you haven't been on the board and posted for almost a year and you come back today and your only new post is to dig up this 6 month old post? :popcorn:

I don't take participation in discussions, but I am a frequent reader of this forum. However, this time I decided to voice my experience with a dive op, so other forums readers like me know what to expect.

Here's what happened:
The Captain explained that the conditions were less than favorable (wind blowing about 15 kts, choppy water) but it was safe to go out and he would take them if they wanted. He also informed them that the only way a refund would be offered would be if he, The Captain, decided once out on the reef that the conditions were unsafe and called off the dive. He explained that if they got out there and the divers decided they didn't want to dive, no refund would be offered. On the way out to the reef, he noticed that the visibility didn't seem so great, so about half way out, he turned around and again asked everyone if they were sure they wanted to go out. Had anyone decided to not dive at that point, they would have gotten their refund. However, everyone said yes.
He also explained that if they wanted a Divemaster to guide them, it would cost extra. Therefore, the Divemaster who went in the water was NOT working as a guide. The reason he got out of the water was because he decided, in the conditions, that he could monitor everyone better from the surface- NOT because he didn't think it was safe to dive. It was perfectly safe, just not the greatest visibility.
When the rest of the divers came out of the water, the Captain asked them if they wanted to go home. Everyone said yes. Had anyone said that they wanted to stay and dive, the Captain would have let them continue diving.
Generally, no refund is offered when a diver decides not to dive. It costs us money to take our boat out to the reef. We were being quite generous in offering half his money back. The other divers on the boat had no complaints whatsoever.
Anyone who has been diving for a while knows that sometimes, you run into poor visibility. Therefore, when the Captain warns you that the conditions won't be optimal, you should probably listen to him.

I've been diving with LOST REEF ADVENTURES when in Key West for the last few years. My last trip to Key West, they even went over & above to get folks together to take the boat out for my wife & I because we were returning customers on what happened to be a slow day. We've always had good luck (and good dives) with them. I'll agree with the previous poster that the diving around Key West isn't the best that the Florida Keys has to offer. On the other hand, we've been taken to some pretty good sites around the area that offerred a nice variety of corals, sponges, fish, rays and even the occasional turtle.

It's been good enough that if we're in Key West for the week, we'll do the majority of our dives there as opposed to commuting back up the Keys for some of the other stuff.

One of the nice things about Lost Reef also is their proximity to some great post-dive watering holes for a burger & a beverage. Enjoy your trip!

I second lost reef.:D I wish i could remember the name of the place I hate there. They were big with the cruise ship divers and well, they were forgettable.

I've used SubTropic before and was very happy with them. I thought they ran a safe operation when we went with them. They gave VERY detailed safety orientation (compared to other dive boats).

As for poor vis, that's going to happen.

Heck, our local quarry often only has 5ft or 10ft of vis, but I don't think anyone has ever gone and demanded their money back for it.... (but on second thought after reading your post, I'm sure that someone has.... )

I've also been on ocean dives where the vis was 5 to 10 feet (or less). Heck, I was one trip that going down the anchor line we found the wreck "with my mask". (meaning vis was that bad). But heck... that happens.

Usually if the vis is bad, the captain/crew will tell us when we are boarding to let everyone know. (and to give them a chance to back out).

Sounds like you got bad vis and want to blame the dive operator.

In reality sounds like you should be happy that you got half your money back. Most operators wouldn't have even done that. :shakehead:

I love Looe Key reef. It's 25 miles north of Key West on Ramrod Key. We went out with Looe Key Resort dive op. It was spectacular. We went last year, and are planning another trip for next month. We also love Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Resort in Key Largo. I highly recommend the two.

"On the way out to the reef, he noticed that the visibility didn't seem so great, so about half way out, he turned around and again asked everyone if they were sure they wanted to go out. Had anyone decided to not dive at that point, they would have gotten their refund."

- This is untrue. Halfway, the captain stopped the boat and asked if we wanted to go back. No money would have been given back since he would not have technically called off the five. It would have been us who called off the dive. However, he did mention that we would get coupons/vouchers to dive again (little use to us since we were leaving Key West the next day).

"He also explained that if they wanted a Divemaster to guide them, it would cost extra. Therefore, the Divemaster who went in the water was NOT working as a guide."

- I personally signed a disclaimer that "I would respect the suggestion of the accompanying Divemaster" (not guide, Divemaster) - I can scan this document as a proof. This is exactly what I did during the dive when the accompanying Divemaster headed to the surface and said the conditions are horrible and that he would not dive. If I chose to stay in the water I would have been in clear violation of the agreement I signed.

There was a clear and purposeful disagreement between the captain and the divemaster. The divemaster cancelled the dive, but the captain took no responsibility. And since our initial arrangement was based on the captain's decision, we were ripped off.

Sigh.
For the second time: the Divemaster DID NOT say it was unsafe to dive. He said it would be unsafe for him to conduct an in-water supervision. Given the poor visibility, he felt it would be safer for him to supervise the divers from the surface. Once you go through Divemaster training, you learn these finer points.
And again, next time a boat Captain- someone who spends every day working on the water and knows the sea- tells you that conditions won't be great, maybe you should listen to him. He knows more about this than you. Take his advice next time, and don't go around badmouthing well-respected dive operations simply because you were too stubborn to take advice.
End of story.

Sorry, but it's not the end of the story, pal.

The dive ops in Key West suck, period, end of story.

I've had so many bad experiences in Key West that I'll never dive there again.

Once I found myself with a an unexpected week off. I called about 7 or 8 dive shops in Key West to inquire about conditions and night dives. Every single dive operator assured me that the weather was great and they all had night dives on the schedule. So I flew to Key West the next day, and guess what? The sea was so rough and the visibility so poor that not a single dive op had been out on the water for the past 7 days. All dive ops had cleared their schedules and no one had any dives planned. I spend about $1,700 for 7 days in Key West and got one lousy dive on a reef in 15 feet of water because they're all a bunch of ****ing liars.

On another dive trip to Key West I signed up for a wreck dive with yet another dive op. Visibility had been running about 15 feet all week. (I've been on the Eagle at 110 feet in 6-foot seas and 15 feet of visibility, so it was NO BIG DEAL.) Once we were underway, the captain decided that, because of the visibility, were were going on a snorkel trip instead, and he said there would be NO REFUNDS and NO CREDITS for future dives.

Want more stories? I could go on and on....

Every single one of my dive trips to Key West sucked because of the actions of the dive ops.

Just say NO to diving in key West.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom