Key West Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bottom Line:

Key West is a unique, fun place to spend a few days - Much better diving exists in other places in the Keys, like Looe Key, Islamorada, and Key Largo.

Should you book a dedicated dive trip to KW - probably not (I wouldn't), but if you choose to ignore the prevailing wisdom (there is much better diving elsewhere) for whatever reason, thats up to you.

To me, diving is KW is truly one of those YMMV types of places.

I really don't see a reason to go back to Key West to dive when there are better spots other places in the keys.... except I might be interested in going back when/if they ever sink the Vandenberg.

Key West is more for the party crowd in my opinion....

Woot Woot! The Vandenberg will be here in a few days!! :)

Woot Woot! The Vandenberg will be here in a few days!! :)

Well that may change everyone's opinion about KW as a legitimate "dive destination"...let's just hope that the OP's down there give it a good whirl!

Large amounts of cruise ships and alcohol usually lead to a lack of excellent dive ops and dive destinations. KW has an abundance of both.

I'll agree that perhaps in the past, Key West's dive ops haven't been too hot, from what i've heard. But at Subtropic we've restructured and revamped and now i can assure you, we'll treat you well! Come see us to dive the Vandenberg, and let's see if we can't improve KW's image.
(Sorry if that sounded like advertising- i just have faith in my shop!)
Happy bubbles, everyone!

Subtropic was the dive op that, once underway, changed the dive from a wreck dive to a snorkel trip without giving us a refund or credit for a future dive.

Subtropic was also one of the dive ops that told me the diving conditions were excellent and they had a night dive scheduled when in fact they had not been going out for a week.

Avoid Key West.

Avoid Subtropic.

Last edited:
Excellent 6 pack id HMS Minnow docked right behind the Holiday Inn in Key Largo

Gotta agree with 2 things:

Diving much better in Key Largo and Islamorada, but if you insist on Key West, at least dive Looe Key, about 25 miles north of KW

While you are getting great reponses, Florida Conch forum also will provide great "local" info

Large amounts of cruise ships and alcohol usually lead to a lack of excellent dive ops and dive destinations. KW has an abundance of both.

That's only the topside problem....

below the water the reefs just aren't as good as other spots in the keys and vis has sucked on/off over the years.

I'll agree that perhaps in the past, Key West's dive ops haven't been too hot, from what i've heard. But at Subtropic we've restructured and revamped and now i can assure you, we'll treat you well! Come see us to dive the Vandenberg, and let's see if we can't improve KW's image.
(Sorry if that sounded like advertising- i just have faith in my shop!)
Happy bubbles, everyone!

has SubTropic gotten a replacement boat for their "big boat" that broke its keel?

That's only the topside problem....

below the water the reefs just aren't as good as other spots in the keys and vis has sucked on/off over the years.

Half the problem is that most of the op's take you to the SAME reefs! EDR, 9ft Stake, Rock Key... In the 5 years I've been diving, I've seen it go from marginal to bad!

Maybe if they went somewhere different occasionally...I'm just wondering how the op's are going to handle the V-burg...is it going to be a PREMIER dive destination, or just a once or twice a week thing for the early trip?

Back
Top Bottom