Key West diving? near Duvall street party town? Local advice plz.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For breakfast, you can't beat Pepe's. The diving is ok. The dive op I used also had snorklers onboard...maybe an option for your non-diver?

Pepe's the best breakfast in town ... Anaheim chile omelet with swiss.

A. The dive op across from Half Shell is "Lost Reef Adventures". The owner's name is Nick.

B. Yes, Captains Corner's boat, The "Sea Eagle" is in the water and running. The owners name is Leslie.

Both ops do a nice job. Both will take snorklers as well as divers if they are going to the reef.
Lost reef generally will have fewer people on the boat, but Captains Corner is a little cheaper.I can give you contact info for either one.

C. The reef the one poster was thinking of is 9 foot stake.

Safe Dives
trtldvr
www.divealive.org

A. The dive op across from Half Shell is "Lost Reef Adventures". The owner's name is Nick.

B. Yes, Captains Corner's boat, The "Sea Eagle" is in the water and running. The owners name is Leslie.

Both ops do a nice job. Both will take snorklers as well as divers if they are going to the reef.
Lost reef generally will have fewer people on the boat, but Captains Corner is a little cheaper.I can give you contact info for either one.

C. The reef the one poster was thinking of is 9 foot stake.

Safe Dives
trtldvr
www.divealive.org

As long as you deal directly with them! Some of the resorts down there set up dives and it costs a little more! (had a buddy that booked through his hotel...the hotel name escapes me at the moment...it's to the right just as you get on the island, and there's a Denny's attached...crap...we eat at that dang Denny's everytime!!!)(now that's gonna bug me...my wife thinks it's a Raddison)

Good to know that the Sea Eagle is back in the water!

As long as you deal directly with them! Some of the resorts down there set up dives and it costs a little more! (had a buddy that booked through his hotel...the hotel name escapes me at the moment...it's to the right just as you get on the island, and there's a Denny's attached...crap...we eat at that dang Denny's everytime!!!)(now that's gonna bug me...my wife thinks it's a Raddison)

Good to know that the Sea Eagle is back in the water!

Be smart, trust your wife, she is right.

safe dives
trtldvr
Florida Keys Safe Diving Initiative

I would also recommend Southpoint Divers. They are very convenient to Duval down on Front Street and their boat is nearby at the Hyatt. I felt that their boat was very nice for diving off of. We did the wreck dive and then a reef dive. As mentioned, not at good as the middle keys but not bad either.

I used Southpoint divers and they did a nice job. The first dive was a large wreck at 90 feet for 45 min then off to a 20 foot reef dive for an hour. Nice reefs with lots of life. No SI as the second dive was so shallow. Also no DM for a tour guide on any of the dives so get some headings so you can find the boat. All and all I was happy to get wet and my wife loved the top side shopping and food. We did just do two weeks in Cozumel right before so I was braced for a let down.

I never got a car down there. Just a few cab rides with our gear and a nice walk at night for food and shopping. Every things is with in a few blocks for the most part. :D

I would also recommend Southpoint Divers. They are very convenient to Duval down on Front Street and their boat is nearby at the Hyatt. I felt that their boat was very nice for diving off of. We did the wreck dive and then a reef dive. As mentioned, not at good as the middle keys but not bad either.

When I dove with Southpoint a few years ago, it was a week or so before Christmas and understandably there were not a ton of tourists. It really impressed me how they still took out that enormous boat, a boat probably big enough for 30 divers or more (I seem to recall it being a double decker), for just two or maybe 3 divers if the Instructor had to pay for his slot. They literally took that boat out with just me and a student that was doing his final OW dives with his intructor. There is no doubt in my mind they either lost money or simply broke even on that trip. You can't take out a boat that large and pay a Captain for half a day of his time for two or three divers worth of revenue. But, their take on it was that they booked me and that instructor with this student, so they sent it out. They didn't cancel it for being under the minimum like I have (understandably) seen other shops do. That really made a positive impression on me and I definitely recommend them as a result.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom