Khao Lak - liveaboard or day trips? Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poozer

Registered
Reaction score
We've FINALLY decided to go to Khao Lak to dive in Dec (hurray!:D) but could folks recommend whether we should take up a 3 day Similan liveaboard (9 dives), or do 3 day trips (6 dives) to maybe the Similans, Koh Bon & Richelieu?

If you think day trips are the way to go I'd also love to hear your fave sites as well!

We also wondered if diving on Nitrox is something we should be opting for for diving around Khao Lak. We're certified to do so but we're not very experienced at all; we did our OW, AOW & Nitrox courses together over 6 packed days & found using Nitrox seemed to make a huge difference to how tired we felt.

But maybe we were just knackered anyway from the studying we had to do when we got out of the sea.

I would always go for a liveaboard over day trips unless you really love getting back to a nice comfy hotel every night. Day trips from Khao Lak are not so long, and you can get a variety - not just Similan, but also to Koh Bon, Richelieu Rock or the Boonsung Wreck. IQ dive offers all these day trips.

But I prefer liveaboards, more relaxed, more dives, no need to set up your gear every day...

The cheaper liveaboards will not have nitrox on board. For a little more comfort and money something like the Queen Scuba would be a very good option - the trips are all 4 day/ 4 night.

More Info:

Similan Islands dive sites

Queen Scuba

More Liveaboards

Poozer:
We've FINALLY decided to go to Khao Lak to dive in Dec (hurray!:D) but could folks recommend whether we should take up a 3 day Similan liveaboard (9 dives), or do 3 day trips (6 dives) to maybe the Similans, Koh Bon & Richelieu?

If you think day trips are the way to go I'd also love to hear your fave sites as well!

We also wondered if diving on Nitrox is something we should be opting for for diving around Khao Lak. We're certified to do so but we're not very experienced at all; we did our OW, AOW & Nitrox courses together over 6 packed days & found using Nitrox seemed to make a huge difference to how tired we felt.

But maybe we were just knackered anyway from the studying we had to do when we got out of the sea.

Forget daytrips and take a liveaboard. Shop around and make sure your itinerary includes Richelieu Rock, Ko Tacha and Ko Bon. I would opt for a boat with Nitrox facilities and preferably 4 daydives and a nightdive per full day diving. Some boats only offer only 3 daydives and few nightdive possibilities. There are MANY boats to choose from; don't choose the cheapest but ask first what's included and what not.
Also, preferably take a boat that uses skiffs to drop off and pick up their divers. Skiffs will drop you off safely at the right spot and immediately pick you up safely after the dive. Live boat dives at crowded divesites (and Thailands divesites ARE crowded) can be very dangerous and annoying for divers still under the water.

If you're going to be in Khao Lak (which is closer to the Similans), skip the daytrips and get on a liveaboard. I agree that you should look for one that will take you north to Richelieu, widely accepted as the best dive in the area.

As for Nitrox, yes, if you can get it, dive it. Lots of people (including me) believe that Nitrox attenuates the effects of "post dive fatigue," even though there's no scientific evidence to support the belief (but that only means there hasn't been a proper double-blind medical study done). IMO it's worth the extra money, especially on a dedicated dive trip with multiple dives over a series of days.

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys! We're definitely going for the liveaboard option then!

We can't do a 4 day trip unfortunately & the 3 day liveaboard from Khao Lak (with Sea Dragon) would only include the Similans & Koh Bon, persumably because Richelieu is that bit further. I've so far found an operator in Phuket (Sea Bees Kata) who would go to all 3 sites over 3 days but it's MUCH pricier - do you think Richelieu would be worth the extra GBP 200 (for both of us) to see?

Will keep searching though, & will no doubt consult you all again...

Buksida, great dive trip report! Helped sway our decision to go to Thailand!

Poozer:
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys! We're definitely going for the liveaboard option then!

We can't do a 4 day trip unfortunately & the 3 day liveaboard from Khao Lak (with Sea Dragon) would only include the Similans & Koh Bon, persumably because Richelieu is that bit further. I've so far found an operator in Phuket (Sea Bees Kata) who would go to all 3 sites over 3 days but it's MUCH pricier - do you think Richelieu would be worth the extra GBP 200 (for both of us) to see?

Will keep searching though, & will no doubt consult you all again...

Buksida, great dive trip report! Helped sway our decision to go to Thailand!

SeaBees has a MUCH better boat than Sea Dragon and is professional outfit. YES, it is worth the extra money to go to Richelieu Rock and to dive on a professional and comfortable boat. Again, don't just look at the prices but shop around for quality, good itinerary, safety and comfort as well.:D

Well, the Sea Bees boats don't do 3 day Similan/Richelieu trips. The Marco Polo does 6 day trips, and the old Genesis does 3 days Similan OR 3 days Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock.

There is 3 days/2 nights on the South Siam 4, which may be the one he is talking about. Current price is 18,900 Baht per person. South Siam can be crowded, but the South Siam 4 is better than South Siam 3 as you do not have people coming and going every day, just the same divers for 3 days.

I was happy to dive with Sea Dragon because we thought spending 3 days diving with 6 strangers would be less difficult than with 20+ others that most boats seem to involve. We're not too fussed about home comforts but Sea Dragon seemed to have a great rep for safety & professionalism. Sigh they don't go to Richelieu though.

Our options so far:

1. South Siam 4 - Similan, Koh Bon/Tachai, Richelieu, 28 diver capacity
2. MV Soksomboon IV - all 3 sites, 60 diver capacity (through an agent called all4diving). Can't find any advertised info for this & agent claims there will probably be only 20-25 divers at the time. Hmmm...
3. Genesis - Koh Bon/Tachai & Richelieu OR Similans (mentioned by Batfish above), 14 divers

Has anyone heard of/dived with Soksomboon IV, or dealt with all4diving before?

Should we consider skipping the Similans or Koh Bon since Richelieu seems to be the must-dive site of the area? I feel as though the number of divers we dive with would have quite a big impact on our experience but I've never done a liveaboard before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom