Kidney Stones!??!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4sdi

Contributor
Reaction score
My dive buddy has had many problems with kidney stones. As many as 10 attacks in a year. Three years ago, we started diving a lot more often (7-8 dives a month) and since then he has had no more problem with the stones. Anyone ever heard of a connection between kidney stones and diving?

Dear k4:

Possibly he now drinks more to keep himself hydrated!

In actuality, I have never heard of a relationship. Anyone else have any ideas?:confused:

Dr Deco
:doctor:

That they will help keep the weight off of your belt...

Hik4sdi,

I have not, nor can I conjure up any compelling theoretical bases. It is possible that extended increased activity levels & attention to hydration related to 3 years of diving could be contributing something beneficial.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

The kidney stone thing sounds like a coincidence, doesn't it? Probably, but I wonder how many coincidences are as they appear. The previously mentioned hydration process could result in dilution of the supersaturation blamed for stones. Also, a change in blood chemistry might have some effect. Stones have varying makeup so one would have to be specific. It appears to me that anything which would lower blood calcium might be looked at. Coffee or tea might qualify. Anything that would increase or decrease PH might be of interest. Hyperbaric gases might be a candidate.

I wonder if there are any anecdotes or data from the hyperbaric facilities. They treat diabetes related wounds as well as some other stuff. The fact is that they have more traffic from the general population than might be supposed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom