Knew it would happen eventually

How do you make sure an insta-buddy stays with you?

• Put him/her in the lead, then stay with 'em

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Use a leash

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Just keep an eye on 'em

Votes: 60 61.9%
  • Some other method - explained in my post

Votes: 10 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is really an interesting topic for debate. I'll toss these out there.

First - There are always 3 sides to every insta buddy story (mine/yours and the truth). We haven't heard the other two.

Second - Anyone who has dive traveled probably has an insta buddy story. I have had 3 where I invested a lot of time in skill honing and being physically prepared not to mention the $$ involved only to be paired with someone who did not. I have no problem diving with a new diver, I actually enjoy being a mentor. I have since learned to spend a few minutes talking to someone I'm about to be paired up with and if it doesn't jive I let the DM know and ask to be paired with someone else or another pair. The DM's on the boats are generally pretty sharp, they see hundreds of divers and they can sniff out the yahoos from the good divers.

If your planning on a trip, please spend some time in the water before you go. Be honest with your self eval and don't expect someone else to make up for what you find lacking in your skills. On the boat, rate your skills and dive history accurately so the DMs have something to work with. I would much rather dive with a new diver that has had 30 dives in the last couple of months than a non teaching pro that hasn't been in the water since last season. Breathing gas underwater is pretty much the same everywhere, the water you breath it under is not. Educate yourself on the conditions you will be diving in that are different from home. If you don't have the skills for the water you will be diving in, take a private class or hire a DM for a dive. Don't burden someone else with the task of discovering what you don't know.

There has been all kinds of scenarios discussed but if you get separated (you won't know the reason why until after the fact) surface and let the DM's/Skipper know. They can then choose to do a diver recall, headcount and search if necessary.

In the end always be prepared to be self sufficient and self reliant. Getting separated is inevitable.

Last edited:
+1 for diving with coldwaterdufus. Anytime mate.
+1 for choosing to dive with someone else other than scubaflier, or taking a redundant and going it solo.

why is it so hard in today's society for people to keep their word?? I was raised to honour the commitments I make. So many people today just don't seem to care until it NEGATIVELY impacts them. scubaflier as a dive pro, I can give you nothing more than a head shake. IF someone agrees to terms and conditions of a dive before the dive then the conditions and terms need to be followed. It is not that hard of a concept. I don't care if both divers in question have the last names Cousteau. If you agree to dive together BEFORE the dive then you darned well dive together DURING the dive. If for whatever reason you want to continue the dive solo then you have an OBLIGATION to inform the other interested parties.

Similar but different: You rent a hotel room with someone you met on the airplane and seem to be friend compatible with. You agree to pay half each for the sake of economics. You would not have any problem if he left you and shacked up with the pretty blonde in her room after paying his share. You would have issue if he decided she could have your bed.

There is a verbal contract in play anytime you buddy with someone. Each party has a contractual obligation to be somewhat close by in order to render assistance or at least act as a gas donor in the face of adversity. His taking off deprived the OP of several things... not the least of which was the dive.

Coldwater: if you are in Vancouver, PM me. I will dive with you any day.
scubaflier: don't

If you are going to troll, troll correctly and start the thread

:rofl3: Classic!!

(And I agree :D ).

Best wishes.

Getting separated is inevitable.

In the last 500 or so dives with my dive buddies, I've had a handful of buddy separations, all of which were in very low viz and were very temporary. I have not had to surface to regroup in several years. I DID do a dive with two instabuddies a couple of months ago, where THEY separated, and I had to decide which one to follow; it appeared that this was their customary way to proceed, and they had simply not informed me of that before we dove together.

I do not agree that separation is inevitable. I do agree that it takes good skills, good equipment, and a commitment to staying together, to avoid it.

I particularly like the part where scubaflier states repeatedly .. plan your dive, dive your plan ... and then goes on about the only person that followed it :confused:

db wasn't that just his way of enacting the black ( pot/kettle ) debate?

I got hooked up with a guy from spain on a live aboard that started drinking at noon and still made 3 more dives a day. He is a diver and i am a diver. he is still alive im still alive.

If diving is to much for you and you hve got to have someone hold your hand Quit
no one will think less of you.

:rofl3:

Jeez but you crack me up. and in "Basic Scuba Discussions" too!

Open appeal to all diving novices and anyone looking for sensible, meaningful advice - please do not listen to this buffoon!

Last edited:
That's why I tell insta buddies that if they leave me I will not look for them or be responsible for them. I also will inform someone ahead of time if I do plan to do the dive solo and that if they are not cool with that to find another person. There are some ops that insist you have a buddy. I try not to use them unless I have a buddy before we get on the boat. There have been times when asked who my buddy is I just pick two divers, ask them if I can buddy up and inform them that once we get in the water I'll be going my own way.

Jim's post here pretty much sums up my attitude towards insta-buddies to a "T". I'll descend with them, maybe do a bubble check if we've arranged that, then "see ya back on the boat." I prefer dive ops that aren't particular about it, got the Solo card mostly just so if necessary I can show them I'm diving within my trained parameters.

However, I do inform my insta-buddies about my intention, and that's important. Sounds like "same ocean" was the OP buddy's idea, but he should have made that clear to begin with.

LMAO I defended the Insta-Buddy and im the bad guy but then sometimes I forget I dive for a living not for a vacation. I like this board its entertaining to say the least. the dive could have went like this and be posted somewhere else by the Insta-buddy
(insta-buddy)
I was on vacation last week and I got stuck with this newbie. The boat cap would not let me go solo and I was tired of baby sitting. the guy was a pretty good diver and i could see he wouldnt hurt himself so I ditched him and enjoyed my last dive of the trip.

Not the right thing to do but he is not here to defend himself. The Op could be right but some of you are only proping up the OP. If the OP was truly concerned that some peril had come to insta-buddy then a search and rescue should have begun way before 20 mins have passed.
The title to the thread is I knew it would happen. I would have found that guy before I let him stay underwater by himself for over 20 mins If i was concerned for his well being.

I have certified over 500 divers and have never lost one yet. I don't teach just anyone I don't have to. If I don't think you'll be a good diver I pass. I get paid to dive so mabey I see it in a different light.

I will continue to dive and i enjoy teaching scuba. if you ever get to dive with one of my students
You can be assured that they will be able to take care of you and themselves.
I don't certify divers that would not be a good dive buddy to my son.

Back
Top Bottom