Knife location with dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOUTH DEVON

Reaction score
I realise knife location has been discussed but people don't mention type of exposure suit !
If I have my six inch blade strapped to my inside calf whilst wearing a membrane dry suit, I'm presuming that I will have more air in one leg than the other particularly if I am using my dry suit for buoyancy control(as I'm currently being taught). Anybody experienced problems with this!
The knife is too big to go anywhere else, it's probably about 12 inches including the handle,(yes I had to buy the biggest knife in the shop :) ) don't really want to have to buy another one as this one is only a couple of months old .

As you don't appear willing to change anything, or shuck that machete and buy a reasonably useful knife, what exactly is the purpose of your question?

Obviously the thing isn't going to fit anyplace else, so I guess you're just stuck swimming around in a circle because one leg is higher.

MechDiver once bubbled...
As you don't appear willing to change anything, or shuck that machete and buy a reasonably useful knife, what exactly is the purpose of your question?

Obviously the thing isn't going to fit anyplace else, so I guess you're just stuck swimming around in a circle because one leg is higher.

Well the purpose of the question is to find out whether membrane dry suit users avoid strapping a knife to the calf for this reason, and is it problematic!
Also to find out if anybody has any alternate suggestions of knife placement that I haven't thought of !
When I originally purchased the knife I was diving in a hired semi dry and it was the first piece of kit I purchased , I presumed incorrectly the bigger the better !

i personally wouldn't strap anything that big to my leg as its not the most useful place to put anything except pockets and fins.

I would not think you would get the straps tight enough to impede air flow without cutting off blood circulation to your leg. That being said, you can buy a decent folding SS knife for a good price and not have the problem in the first place.

Your unwillingness to help yourself improve the situation was the point of my first post. And no, I would have no idea where else you could carry that thing that wouldn't be worse than it is now.

But, that just MO.

I was thinking the same thing when first getting kitted up in my neo drysuit last weekend (trapped air in the foot caused by the straps), and as it happens I lost my knife later on in the dive (I'd caught a nice fat plaice for dinner, but hadn't put the rubber knife keeper back over the knife handle to keep it in place).

I've had to buy a new knife, but I think I'm going to drill a hole through the scabbard bit and clip it to the D-ring inside my drysuit pocket......might have a problem doing that with a big chopper though!

I suppose an alternative would have been to clip it onto a BCD (I use my BCD for bouyancy and the suit to keep me dry and warm), or maybe attach it to your weightbelt, although you might have to sacrifice it if you need to dump your weightbelt.

I strap a smaller knife to my left calf which indeed does reduce air in that leg of my dry suit. To remedy the difference I have a neoprene knee brace that I put on my right leg over the suit. This reduces air on that side. Since I need the brace for knee stability putting it outside the suit rather than under served a dual purpose.

DSDO

Alan

MechDiver once bubbled...

LOL!!!:D

That would really suck if you were doing a drift dive!

South Devon - I understand where you're coming from. I got a biggy too and to make it worse it was a gift from my wife... But, it now has no place in my current diving configuration so I don't know what to do with it.
I suppose I could use it to pose for pictures!:)

SD, you will likely find few people on here who think bigger is better when it comes to knives. And, although using a drysuit for buoyancy was the norm a few years ago it is increasingly uncommon now.

A smaller knife or shears in a BC pocket or on a strap on your upper body may be a cheap way to resolve your dilemma. It'll solve your problem AND be easier to use and access when you need it, be less prone to snags, you won't kick it, and it won't accect your weighting.

You need to decide what's more important to you: a few dollars, or having good gear that will perform when you need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom