Knife location with dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went diving on Saturday and I was surprised to find all the other divers on the boat were carrying 6 inch Blades, and when we went down I discovered why , a forest of kelp waited below us!
If you got tangled in this it would take some time to cut yourself free with a three inch knife, so it seems that the size of the diving knife depends on location.
Talking of location the other divers had their knives strapped to their legs and were all wearing dry suits.
I had my attached to my bcd in the end using a plastic tie, but I shall probably try strapping it to my leg next time.
Thanks for everyone's input and ideas.:)

SOUTH DEVON once bubbled...
I went diving on Saturday and I was surprised to find all the other divers on the boat were carrying 6 inch Blades, and when we went down I discovered why , a forest of kelp waited below us!
If you got tangled in this it would take some time to cut yourself free with a three inch knife, so it seems that the size of the diving knife depends on location.
Talking of location the other divers had their knives strapped to their legs and were all wearing dry suits.
I had my attached to my bcd in the end using a plastic tie, but I shall probably try strapping it to my leg next time.
Thanks for everyone's input and ideas.:)

I carry a very small knife on my waist and a pair of EMT shears in my pocket. I dive kelp very frequently and have yet to cut myself out of it. Kelp if bent is very easily broken. The big thing with diving kelp underwater is to streamline your gear and eliminate as many snag points as possible. If you ever have to cross kelp on the surface learn how to do the kelp crawl and make sure you have a buddy to help out if you get snagged.

all the other divers on the boat were carrying 6 inch Blades, and when we went down I discovered why , a forest of kelp waited below us!

This sounds more like a matter of local tradition then, not expert knowledge.

1) Rig your gear properly on the surface. Eliminate all the potential snag points you can.
- use vinyl tape to secure any dangling strap ends - mask, gauges, fins, and knife scabard, if you insist on wearing it on your leg.
- get rid of the snorkel, or carry it in a pocket if you will die without one.
- no dangling spgs or long tag ends on harness or weightbelt straps.

2) Treat kelp like a sem-overhead environment. Manage your gas supply accordingly and avoid nasty surprises.

3) A good buddy in invaluable for sorting out entanglements on your cylinder. Don't leave home without one.

4) Learn to move properly through kelp forests. Avoid quick, twisting movements. Be aware of any small tugs, stop and sort out the hangup while it's still one or two fronds, before you start hauling the entire plant with you. Trust your buddy to help you sort things out.

5) Kelp is patchy. Choose your route, rather than bushwhacking straight through the dense areas.

6) If you do need to "cut your way out", single strands of kelp snap by hand very easily. Multiple strands can be bitten through and are quite tasty, but I don't recommend this for your average tourist. 3" blades work fine if you cut intelligently (bundle up the offending stipes in one hand and cut the bundle with the other). If you need to hack and slash indiscriminately you should have been

If you do need to draw your knife, the leg is just about the worst place for it. To access it you have to twist yourself up in a figure "4", and the chances are very good that you will end up with more kelp twisted around your leg after you're retrieved the knife. A knife worn on the upper body can be retrieved without any entangling contortions.

In my experience, most knives are lost after they've been removed and used once then replaced in the scabard. Hard to see if the retaining mechanism has locked properly, I guess. The point, however, is that once you've drawn the knife you've significantly increased the risk it won't be there if you find yourself really needing it again. Better to avoid drawing it in the first place, or if you have to use it regularly carry it in a place where you can monitor its presence more easily than on the leg.

The only time I've seen a need for a large pig stabber was on a dive where the two of us were trying to stay on station on a gravel bar in a two knot current. My buddy was able to anchor in the gravel with his pig stabber with one hand and help stabilize me with the other while I wrote. If I wasn't being paid to write I would have been going with the flow.

Affix it to your BC strap on the side opposite your inflator. Flat on the front of it, point up - handle down. You will have to experiment to get it right. Use tie wraps or something to get it as flush as you can. You will have to work around the D-rings. You may have a velcro tab for dual inflators. Strap that tab over the knife sheath too.

It may fall out the bottom if your sheath if the keeper is not real good. You can reach it easy there - reach over and pull down. You can see the sheath easily too.

Don't stick yourself putting it back.

With that said, I carry real good shears.

A knife strap will not prevent air getting past it, so this will not be a problem if your suit fits correctly. You must use your suit for buoyancy WHILE YOU ARE TAKING THE DRYSUIT CLASS. Once you've passed, only add air to the suit when you must to take off the squeeze (make sure the vent is all the way open) and use your bc/wings for buoyancy. Drysuit is taught this way so that you only have to be concerned with one inflater/deflater while learning the skill. After, it is just a neat trick in case you ever have a bc/wing failure.

I occasionally wear a large knife on the leg of my drysuit:
1. When I feel like Mike Nelson in Sea Hunt, and might need to cut the air hose of an evil diver.
2. When I dive in trout-line infested waters.
3. When I want to feel impressive.

But mostly I wear a small knife on the bc inflator hose or a shears on the waist strap, and keep a folder in my suit hip pocket for back-up.

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom