knife maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to use for maintaining stainless steel dive knives? Someone mentioned to me that after cleaning the steel it should be coated with some silicone oil. Or perhaps something else?

If you can take your knife apart completely, and coat it in some kind of grease it will keep the salt off of it. I use some old O-ring grease, but anything that has the consistency of vaseline will work. Make sure you don't get any on the handle, you don't want this to be slippery when you use it.

Of course you should always rinse the knife off and occasionally remove any rust that has formed.

I just always rinsed mine off completly and dried it promptly. I've never had any problems with rust.

I usually clean any rust that has started on my knife, and then I sharpen it to a razor edge. This is necessary for cutting fishing line or kelp. Then I coat the blade with silicone to prevent rusting. This works pretty could; I have been using the same knife since 1961.

I buy them at the Dollar Store. A nice set of four is $1.08 after tax. I make gifts of them- my buddies think I'm a great guy.
I don't even worry if LP is cheaper or how much the LDS is marking up. Life is good.
Larry

My Cressi dive nut was a waste of money. The blade is great, stainless, but the nut and bolt that hold the handdle togeather is some cheap alloy. Corroded and snapped after one year.

Hello,

Perhaps the best dive knive i've ever owned was a Tiburon There's no moving parts, no place for salt to builld up and has a very sharp edge that's easy to keep.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom