Maintaining boltsnaps and double-ender

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've not personally seen it congeal because I've read the negative reports from those who have and always cleaned it off. Top Google result, for instance. FYI, the "WD" in the name is for "water displacement".
Google says whatever you want. It is not curated. See post #18.

I've always used graphite, but based on the posts here I'll try silicone next time and see how it goes.

I would go spray lithium over silicone in the hope it lasts a little longer.

if you have crusty bolt snaps, ultrasonic bath in diluted vinegar helps a lot.
then use pencil

You want the super hard brittle junk bars from cheapy chains. If it is good soap that doesn't dry your skin out, that isn't what you are looking for. The really crappy stuff turns to a really fine powder when you drag it over the gate. The fancy soft stuff is great for drysuit zippers and bolts on your doubles wingnuts.
I made a video to show you what I am talking about.

Just tried this with an old, rusty boltsnap, and it seems to work like a charm. Wonder how well it will hold up after diving it...

Just tried this with an old, rusty boltsnap, and it seems to work like a charm. Wonder how well it will hold up after diving it...
It isn't permanent, but it is easy and works. If I am diving saltwater a lot, I do it every few weeks or whenever they get sticky.

I prefer soap for drysuit zippers, it lubes them well but rinses clean. The soft gooey crap builds up and you wind up cleaning the zipper with a toothbrush eventually.

Back
Top Bottom