Maintaining boltsnaps and double-ender

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So would a FGS spray be better for the environment than the WD40 recommended in this thread? Or it makes no difference? Thank you.
I wouldn't advise spraying either into the ocean, but for the small amount used to lubricate a boltsnap, I don't think it really matters.

Clearly the idea in my brain is wrong. I made myself believe that because it was food grade it meant I could eat it so thought it would be better for the sea than oil etc.

I'll go and sit in the corner.

Point taken about quantity.

Thank you.

WD-40 will congeal into something you don't want after it dries. It's purpose is to displace water rather than lubricate. Regular silicone spray will lubricate just fine.

51JfkbryiEL._AC_SX522_.jpg

No place for WD-40 which is Not silicone spray or silicone spray anywhere near dive gear

WD-40 will congeal into something you don't want after it dries. It's purpose is to displace water rather than lubricate. Regular silicone spray will lubricate just fine.
WD-40's purpose is to lubricate. I've never seen it congeal, have you?

No it disappears.
Its good for a lube that will creep in to remove a bolt, or to clean and use kinda like a solvent.
but as a protective lube its useless.
I use fluid film on threads, but not normally on bolt snaps,

I always thought this, too, but it is first a petroleum based solvent which displaces water. So, yes, it lubricates with it‘s petroleum base, but it’s solvent breaks down rust and other contaminants that are causing things to stick. It protects further problems by dispersing water.

Personally, I’m not sure that it’s much worse, if any, than most silicone lubricants, given that they are synthetic and not usually biodegradable. Most will remain a droplet when in water.

Erik

I've not personally seen it congeal because I've read the negative reports from those who have and always cleaned it off. Top Google result, for instance. FYI, the "WD" in the name is for "water displacement".

Some things just aren't worth the time needed to maintain / repair. I buy double-enders in stainless or brass at Menards - the whole box. At $3 to 5 each, when they get questionable, I replace them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom