Maintaining boltsnaps and double-ender

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

Looking for advice on how to keep in great working condition boltsnaps and double-enders when their gauges become less smooth. All the ones I have are marine grade stainless steel with stainless springs; I always wash them in fresh water after salt water diving. Despite this, over time their gauges become less smooth and I wonder how others are dealing with it. I have considered using WD40 or silicone but have not tried yet.

If they're truly 316 stainless, they shouldn't need any maintenance other than soaking in fresh water after salt water diving. Are you simply rinsing, or do you give them a good soak to dissolve salt that might have crusted in the spring?

Hi all,

Looking for advice on how to keep in great working condition boltsnaps and double-enders when their gauges become less smooth. All the ones I have are marine grade stainless steel with stainless springs; I always wash them in fresh water after salt water diving. Despite this, over time their gauges become less smooth and I wonder how others are dealing with it. I have considered using WD40 or silicone but have not tried yet.
If you stay in a hotel, they give out complimentary drysuit zipper lube, doubles bolt lube, and bolt snap gate lube with every stay.
Take those hard brittle little bars of lube and run it over the gate opening, it will pulverize into a fine power and fall down inside the gate. work the mechanism a few times and repeat a few times. It will be buttery smooth again. I wind up doing it a few times per year.
Save that lube, works great for about everything in diving as it doesn't leave a clogging buildup and dirt isn't attracted to it. It mostly rinses away after a few dives.

If you stay in a hotel, they give out complimentary drysuit zipper lube, doubles bolt lube, and bolt snap gate lube with every stay.
Take those hard brittle little bars of lube and run it over the gate opening, it will pulverize into a fine power and fall down inside the gate.

Captain,
What are you talking about?

Captain,
What are you talking about?
The tiny little individually wrapped bars of soap that are in most chain hotels. They are pretty worthless as soap but they make great lube for dive gear.

I dive exclusively in salt water. I use quite a few SS bolt snaps. Long hose, stage kits, GoPro, lights, DSMBs, etc. All I do is soak them thoroughly in fresh water. They stay nice and fluid.

I'm a Salt water diver and also use the Stainless double enders. They also get a fresh water soak at the end of every dive day. After about 50 dives they seem to get scratchy to open. I think it's in the spring and not the barrel or push rod itself. I use BoeShield which is made by the Boeing jet company. I only spray when it gets scratchy not every dive. For it to work correctly, you have to let it dry over nite so it can form a film. It comes in 3 different sizes and the stuff isn't cheap, but I also don't want to throw the clips in the trash. I just need my equipment to work underwater without fighting it. Just my solution to read along with all the other excellent suggestions posted.

BoeShield.jpg

Hi all,

Don't use WD40 use food grade silicone.

I rinse and periodically use FGS spray, never had an issue.

I dive exclusively in saltwater multiple days a week and for some field missions am unable to thoroughly rinse gear for more than a week at a time. Never had issues with stainless bolt snaps.
Now I want to try the bar soap and see if there is any improvement. I will let you know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom