Ko Lipe in tang provice of Thailand!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iphiclides once bubbled...
...there are not whale sharks in thailand despite the hype...however two years ago three whale sharks spent months around koh tao, they loved swimming with divers, however there has not been a whale shark at richelieu rock for a few years. I saw a couple of whale sharks from a ferry in the perhentian islands in malaysia south of koh tao...maybe the east coast is the best place to see them? well I hope you see them... what do you think of koh lipe?

not too sure where you get your facts or what you read, but i should try another source, they do frequent Thai waters, we almost landed on one when we jumped in at Phi Phi 2 Christmas's ago!

clive francis,

I was in Lipe in February, there is only one good dive operator, can't recall but will check out my log book. The price for a night, range from 100 to 1200TB. You should go there and search as most of them do not have email account except Lipe Resort.

This is a "cowboy" town, dive and live on your own risk. The dive is good; good luck if you are looking for whale shark, no sighting for some time according to the local.

The food is cheap and good at certain restaurants along the beach. You will need some effort to get to the island.

Happy Diving

I have been to this sea-gypsy island 6 times & it's the place to go for relaxation. The entire island is run by an ex-pirate, who was shot in the stomach in his pirate days & has since retired & now runs the resorts on the island. They are all family-owned & it's very safe. The food is fantastic in one of the little hut restaurant opposite the big, huge bar on-route to the south of Lipe (sorry I can't remember but I cannot forget the food & service). On all of my trips, I stayed at the Andaman Resort, where the chalets are on the beach or have direct access to the beach. The food at this resort is also good. I dive with Antoine & Kirstie at Forra Divers & they are very professional & detailed. Antoine will film your dive underwater for the price of 1000bt only. Bring him fine wine & you'd be amazed......

I'd say the diving is pretty good at Eight Mile Rock, with Black Corals & Jewel Box urchins applenty. Water is always clear. Diving months begin in October & ends in May so I'm afraid this is a bit too late if you are planning to go now. Most operators would have closed for the rainy season. You can send me an email & I'd forward you some pictures if you want to see what Lipe is like. You must be prepared to stay a week because it's quite a challenge to get there.

RSdiver once bubbled...
Peter Lim, was it Sabye Sports ?

No, if you want good diving, try Forra Divers, so far the best and forget about the one located in the "Lipe resort".

Food, anywhere, just hop around; stay, depend on your budget, from 200B to 1400B. Stay at 300/400B will be fine. If you dive, try to stay in the resort next to Forra Divers, else you got to walk every morning to the dive centre, not far and kind of fun. You could party every night along the beach.

The island is so much smaller than Sipadan.

I have been to Koh Lipe a few times. I went diving with the dive operation at Lipe Resort. Horrible experience. Equipment not properly maintain. The owner came to our hut and offer us some drugs. When we refused, he insulted us for not having enough "balls" to take a hit?!! We just finished diving 4 hours ago and don't feel like taking and drugs.

He walked around the island stoned from the drug most of the time. WHile we were at his shop, he got into a fight with a customer, throw his beer bottle at his employee(dive guide) and fire her on the spot. fOR YOUR SAFETY AND ENJOYMENT OF THE ISLAND, STAY AWAY FROM LIPE RESORT DIVE SHOP!!

Koh Lipe is a great place to chill. If you walked 15 min cross to the other side of the island, you can swim with sharks! I made some friends with the local fishermen and went fishing with them. Mostly spear fishing, then we sell the fish at the restaurant at night.

It is a good idea to hire a boat for 800-1000TB for island hopping tour. If you free dive, you will enjoy it more than scuba.

No, Koh Tarutao is not similar ti Similan. Not even close. It is not necessary to go to Koh Tarutao for diving. Not much going on there.

To get to Koh Lipe, you can take ferry from Satun(Thai) or pakbara(Thai). I prefer Satun for shorter ride. You can also take a ferry from Langkawi Island(Malaysia) to Koh Lipe, but you have to stop at Koh Tarutao for a brief immegration stop.

Check out this web site for more info.http://www.stgt.com/sabye/maps.htm

Enjoy!

I have heard the drug YaaBaa (derivative of Thai word YaaMaa - crazy horse) is widespread in Thailand but in 11 trips I've never seen it or the effects on people. Just read about it in the newspaper.

Was the Dive shop owner a Yaa Baa freak?

PS - what nationality was the drug crazed operator?

I'll bet not Thai!

RSdiver once bubbled...
PS - what nationality was the drug crazed operator?

I'll bet not Thai!

He told us he's from Vancouver Canada, then told someone else he's from NZ but..... He thought we were from Singapore, he doesn't know I live in California. Through slips of his tongue after a few smog, and his familiarity of california, I would say he's from California but try to hide his identity in Thailand.. perhaps he is hiding and running from something. Either way, for your own safety and pleasure, stay from Lipe Resort Dive Shop. That drugy :wacko: scared the hell out of us.

Back
Top Bottom