Koh Phi Phi now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Susie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Gang,
First, let me thank you all for such great advise on Koh
Tao. While it sounds really lovely, I think my group is looking for a bit more advanced diving. So I now turn my vacation eyes towards Koh Phi Phi. I am still looking for a land based place on either island but do not want to stay in Phuket(too far away).
Can anyone tell me about the diving and was it hurt by the Tsunami? Are there any "middle of the road" places to stay on either island?
Again, thanks to all who wrote and PM'd me with info. This is such a great resource place...invaluable really!
If ya ever need to know about Northern California....I'm your gal!
Susie

I second that question... I'm heading there from the 31/01-05/02 with accommodation already booked.

Could someone tell us about how the dive operations are? Any need for booking dives in advance, or is it just a matter of turning up, say the day before?

SS:

There is still has not been much reconstruction on Phi Phi...the Thai Gov't. has not decided on a reconstruction plan yet (locals want to rebuild for backpacker and middle-class tourist crowd but suspicion is that Bangkok based officials and Big Money People want to take the opportunity to turn rebuild it into another 5-star resort destination). Topside accomodation and activities could be quite limited.

Anyway, you can still dive there...just I would recommend doing it from Phuket. Search this forum for several of my reports on day-trip diving this area from Phuket.

Phuket is only 2 hour's boat trip from Phi Phi so you could dive the best that both Phuket and Phi Phi have to offer. If I remember correctly on your original post you mentioned that you were not particularly interested in Livaboard cruises? Apart from the Liveaboards on Phuket you have the option of shore dives (from Kata and Karon), 1/2 day trips (from Kata and Karon), daytrips, Overnight cruises where you spend the night on Phi Phi. On Phuket Karon, Kata and Noi beaches are relatively quiet in comparison to Patong (more for party animals if you prefer). Hope this helps?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'too far away', but you would most probably go on a ferry from Phuket to get to Phi Phi (might be possible from Krabi Town as well). So Phi Phi is actually a two hour boat ride further away for an incoming travaller than Phuket.

If you mean from the dive sites, I see what you mean. Things are a lot easier when staying on Phi Phi. To get to any descent diving from Phuket means quite longish boat rides. But as I said in an earlier post, I don't know how much is rebuilt on the island (you can only stay on Phi Phi Don).

I haven't dived there post tsunami but according to friends who has, it didn't cause any damage to the reefs.

good luck

Christian

I was on Phi Phi for two weeks well before the tsunami hit. My understanding is that the major hotel there was rendered unoccupiable. Not sure what other facilities survived and are available. I know my dive shop there was washed out to sea.

As for transportation to Phi Phi, I went out of Krabi first to Koh Lanta for a non-diving break and then on to Phi Phi. There was regular boat service between the three islands back in 2001, but am not sure of the situation now.

Phi Phi was one of the high spots on my 3-month backpacking/diving trip so I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did. Koh Tao was fun, but didn't really compare IMHO.

Yes, it sounds like Phi Phi is for me!
I don't want a long commute to the dive sites and I want to kinda be away from the party scene. Getting old and relaxing under the stars with a few glasses of hooch after a dive is a good night for me! I don't need nor want the rave scene....been there, done that!
Christian...thanks for the web site! Very helpful!

Any great dive shops I simply must use?

Susie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom