Koh Tao vs. Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you're on holiday during the monsoon, you'll spend just a short period underwater and the rest of the time on land in a rainstorm
The "monsoon" here is year round. From May - October its the southwest monsoon, from November - April, the northeast monsoon. The word monsoon refers to wind. It is on average wetter and rougher on the Andaman coast during the southwest monsoon season, BUT what I have just quoted you saying is exactly the kind of "monsoon scare tactics" I hate to read. Most of the time the weather is good. Check my weather blog for the last 2 years.

The "monsoon" here is year round. From May - October its the southwest monsoon, from November - April, the northeast monsoon. The word monsoon refers to wind. It is on average wetter and rougher on the Andaman coast during the southwest monsoon season, BUT what I have just quoted you saying is exactly the kind of "monsoon scare tactics" I hate to read. Most of the time the weather is good. Check my weather blog for the last 2 years.

I was there for 2 weeks form Feb to March, and we rented a car and drove form the gulf side to the Andaman sea, both coast has great diving. I have no regrets diving on either side. Saw allot of the country side that allot of people do not see. The drive was well worth it, garmin gps with the latest Thailand maps helped, :14:. It rain a bit, but it is the tropics, no big deal. So we found indoor thing to do, and Phuket has allot to offer when it rains. But it was not raining for days, 14 days in Thailand, only 2 rain days and couple of light passing sprinkles on another day.

Phuket is a very large island with plenty of jungle and even a national park. From your comments, it seems you restricted yourself to Patong. Since your wife likes Thailand so much, next time you come to Phuket, try to stay outside the tourist towns and you'll find the island to be quite idyllic, though perhaps not as unspoiled as parts of Tao.

Yes, Phuket had some nicer area, do get me wrong. We drove around the whole island. It was just not as relaxing as some other areas, I like the beaches up on the north end of Phuket better. There were beaches in Khao Lak that we did not sea anyone there for hours, and it was by our hotel. Phuket had alot to off, if you want to shop, you can go to Phuket town or the central festival mall. There is allot of night time actives over the more secluded area of Thailand. We enjoyed our time in Phuket. But for a short trip as the OP is planning, time is going to hamper his ability to see everything, and since he wants to get some dives in also, staying closer to the dive operators puts you closer to the touristy areas and still allow time to take in some of the local flavors. The beach side Thai Massages are always nice.

Think my next trip, I will try to see some of Northern Thailand, and see how much of Bangkok I can take, in a good way.

Hey Batfish,

mon·soon (mŏn-sōōn')
n.
1) A wind system that influences large climatic regions and reverses direction seasonally.

2) A wind from the southwest or south that brings heavy rainfall to southern Asia in the summer.

3) The rain that accompanies this wind.

Scare tactics??? That's a bit paranoid isn't it? Any definition of monsoon that I can find refers to rain as well as wind (see above or Google it yourself). I was just explaining when the monsoon is and reminding people that though the diving may be better (and I honestly think that it is) on your side, on holiday, people might prefer to have nicer weather. I was hardly trying to misinform. It seems that many of you Phuket types are quite defensive. Sorry to offend, but please get your facts straight before you lash out...

Not lashing out, but certainly get defensive in the face of wild inaccuracy. I have been here a long time and it seems to me that I read this regularly from "You Koh Tao Types", certainly not getting your own facts straight when you imply that it rains all the time on the Andaman coast for 5 months, and also misinform people when you say the low season in the Gulf lasts for just 2 months (Oct/Nov). It was for this reason (to dispel the monsoon myth) that I started a weather page some years ago -

Sunrise Divers Weather Page - check the reports back to 2004

Then started my own weather blog in 2006

Phuket Weather Blog

And for older reports you can see Alex Malcolms page (he no longer lives around here):

Alex Malcolm Weather - back to 2002

These pages show the truth, no bull, if it rains it says rain, if its sunny, it says sunny.

For a good honest view of the weather in the Gulf of Thailand, see Camille's weather blog:

Samui Weather Blog

However, if you're on holiday during the monsoon, you'll spend just a short period underwater and the rest of the time on land in a rainstorm.
You should know better. Even during the moonsoon, most of the time the rain is limited to one/two (heavy) showers a day, with plenty of sunshine in between.

I can't imagine suggesting to someone to visit any area to dive during the rainy season. It's miserable.
No it is not, neither on the Andaman Side nor on the Gulf Side. Did you know that a lot of instructors prefer the diving here in the low season? Far less divers, quite often excellent visibility and lots of marine sightings.

Maybe it would be a good idea if some of the "Koh Tao Types" (Batfish, I just LOVE that expression!) would come over for a holiday to the REAL world (read: Phuket) and experience all the fine things of life we have to offer on our island!

(Now I realize I probably will get trashed for this post....)

Batfish, I just LOVE that expression

Was just responding to the phrase "Phuket types" used by bcdannymalone.

PS, I am very aware of east coast weather. My wife's family are from Chumphon and we head up there several times per year. Will be up there next week, planning to explore the coast around Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Back
Top Bottom