Question Kona - Doctor's approval for older divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortola

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be making my first trip to the Big Island next month and would like to get a few days of diving in. My question is, do dive shops in Kona require a doctor's approval for divers over 65? (I'm 66, 50 years of diving experience, most recent dives on Bonaire in March of this year). In looking at the web sited for dive companies in the area, I notice they all require medical forms for courses. I will not be taking any courses down there, but want to be prepared in case they require a doctor's note to go out on dive charters.

I will be making my first trip to the Big Island next month and would like to get a few days of diving in. My question is, do dive shops in Kona require a doctor's approval for divers over 65? (I'm 66, 50 years of diving experience, most recent dives on Bonaire in March of this year). In looking at the web sited for dive companies in the area, I notice they all require medical forms for courses. I will not be taking any courses down there, but want to be prepared in case they require a doctor's note to go out on dive charters.
All I've ever seen/had was the standard medical questionaire. Should be no issue in Kona.

I have not heard of it done there, but I do know of some operators elsewhere that require a medical form for all diving and for all divers, not just the elderly and not just for instruction. They should advertise that ahead of time, though, because it goes against what people have come to expect.

I have dove with most of the shops in Kona and have only signed the standard wavier no medical form. I have had to fill out a medical release in other places but not the Big Island. Also if you are into it there is lots of good shore diving on the Big Island.

I have dove with most of the shops in Kona and have only signed the standard wavier no medical form. I have had to fill out a medical release in other places but not the Big Island. Also if you are into it there is lots of good shore diving on the Big Island.
Thanks very much for that! I'm very interesting in the shore diving aspect as well. My daughter and I would like to find a good shop/guide for shore diving, so any info on that you can share would be very appreciated.

do dive shops in Kona require a doctor's approval for divers over 65?

have your Doc sign off on the RSTC dive clearance form

I have not heard of it done there, but I do know of some operators elsewhere that require a medical form for all diving and for all divers, not just the elderly and not just for instruction. They should advertise that ahead of time, though, because it goes against what people have come to expect.
The RSTC form can be found here, and is attached.
Age 65 is not the cutoff...but rather 45! Question 2 asks if you are over 45. If so, go to Box B. Box B asks if (a) you smoke, (b) you have high cholesterol, (c) high blood pressure, or (d) you have a close blood relative with heart problems. If you answer Yes to any of those 4 questions, you need a doctor's signature on the form.
Also, question 10 asks if you take any prescription drugs (other than birth control or for malaria); if you answer Yes, you need a doctor's signature, regardless of your age.
It is rather hard to "pass" this questionnaire....so get a doctor's signature and keep it with you on all dive trips. It is good for one year from the date of the signature.

Attachments

• 10346E_Diver_Medical_Participant_Questionnaire_2022_02_1.pdf
    685.4 KB · Views: 82
Puako Road has many good shore diving sites and Blue Wilderness runs out of the Market on Puako Road. They are a good source for the shore diving there and can rent anything you need, they also have boat dives that leave from the boat ramp just down the street. Shore diving south of Kona such as Two Step and Black Pebble Beach are good as well. Black Pebble is my favorite but can be a tricky entry on a south swell. We don't use a guide while shore diving as most sites are pretty easy to navigate but Blue Wilderness may be able to help with this.

The RSTC form can be found here, and is attached.
Age 65 is not the cutoff...but rather 45! Question 2 asks if you are over 45. If so, go to Box B. Box B asks if (a) you smoke, (b) you have high cholesterol, (c) high blood pressure, or (d) you have a close blood relative with heart problems. If you answer Yes to any of those 4 questions, you need a doctor's signature on the form.
Also, question 10 asks if you take any prescription drugs (other than birth control or for malaria); if you answer Yes, you need a doctor's signature, regardless of your age.
It is rather hard to "pass" this questionnaire....so get a doctor's signature and keep it with you on all dive trips. It is good for one year from the date of the signature.
Only had to fill this form out in St. Lucia never in Hawaii.

Back
Top Bottom