Kristina's memorial plaque discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If plaque is placed at South Monastery (tribute to her perseverance):

"Me, quit? Never."

If plaque is placed at Breakwater (considering it is a training area to encourage students and visitors):

"The longest journey starts with a small step."

I like the quote from this post. Dan has hit the nail on the head with this one.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5858008-post53.html

I agree. I think that is what Kristina would like people to remember.

I can't help much with the creation of the plaque since I know nothing about metals or machining them, but I'd be willing to help in any way I can. I also want to contribute to the fund and hope I can make it when it's placed.

We have a CNC programmer and a CNC machine available once we have the correct lines put into place. Now where to get bronze?

We have a CNC programmer and a CNC machine available once we have the correct lines put into place. Now where to get bronze?

I thought Eric had this part handled. Perhaps you guys should work together on this?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I thought Eric had this part handled. Perhaps you guys should work together on this?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
I can call Eric and get a better understanding of what sandblasting the material will do, of course he can call me too, just not on Easter. One of the attendees at her Monterey memorial does CNC for a living, is part of North Coast Divers, and did a dive together with Kristina and I at Van Damme. A CNC machine can cut either direction raised or sunken letters and will be fairly quick, leaving discernible patterns.

Are we better off having the plaque professionally made? We can then set about making the anchoring platform. I take it that the plaque will have to be embedded in a cement frame/platform to add weight and to prevent the current/surge from moving it. Someone recommended applying a coat of anti-fouling paint to the plaque to prevent marine growth. This is probably a good idea.

Haven't been able to find a bronze plaque of any size. It appears that most plaque makers use casting process. Size dictates the cost, which should be around $300-$400 (from what I have seen on-line).

Claude

Someone recommended applying a coat of anti-fouling paint to the plaque to prevent marine growth. This is probably a good idea.

I mentioned anti-fouling paint, but only as a reference, not to apply to the plaque. What I was trying to express was why I thought ZKY's suggestion of copper (vs. bronze) as a plaque material made sense. Copper is what is IN many anti-fouling paints that makes them do their job. And in days of yore boat bottoms were copper plated. Hence, a copper plaque should foul less than, say, a bronze one (bronze will happily foul).

Anti-fouling paint is kind of "gross," and I wouldn't suggest it for a plaque, myself.

Another idea is to plan the plaque knowing it will get marine growth on it and making that part of the design (then I suppose maybe one would go with a shape rather than a lot of writing).

I just wanted to clarify in case it seemed like I was recommending applying anti-fouling paint itself.

"There are many different bronze alloys but modern bronze is typically 88% copper and 12% tin."

"Bronze was especially suitable for use in boat and ship fittings prior to the wide employment of stainless steel owing to its combination of toughness and resistance to salt water corrosion. Bronze is still commonly used in ship propellers and submerged bearings."

Bronze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another idea is to plan the plaque knowing it will get marine growth on it and making that part of the design (then I suppose maybe one would go with a shape rather than a lot of writing).

If it will be placed at Breakwater I am reasonably certain it will be kept rather clean simply because there are tons of divers there weekly (not to mention many of those are Kristina's friends).

Back
Top Bottom