Kuala Lumpur airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malaysian Airlines allows an additional 10kg check-in baggage over the customary 20Kg for bona fide divers.

Was this told to you by the check-in counter staff or by a Malaysia Airlines staff and when was this because economy class passengers, starting from 14th February 2013, now enjoy 30kg baggage allowance with business at 40kg and first class at 50kg?

Also, according to their baggage / excess baggage pricing, scuba equipment is subjected to excess baggage charges and not to be considered as part of the allowance although there's just about no way they'll know since the security scaners are manned by police officers and not airline staff.

I traveled from Phuket to Male and back on MAS in May, and I had my scuba equipment packed in a bag that was very obviously a dive gear bag (fin pockets on the side, and other "clues"), and was not challenged about it for any flight.

I traveled from Phuket to Male and back on MAS in May, and I had my scuba equipment packed in a bag that was very obviously a dive gear bag (fin pockets on the side, and other "clues"), and was not challenged about it for any flight.

Same here. I've gone on a few MAS flights with just a mesh bag. Most of them don't care actually because the thing about scuba equipment being subjected to excess baggage charges was probably one of the least of their concerns. I've been in cargo operations before where it was different because we had officers and accounts staff going through the manifests and if a certain piece was charged wrongly, we'd get a call from 'upstairs'.

Anyway, for what it's worth, this excess baggage rate is only applicable to routes from the U.S.A. / Canada - Malaysia only.

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/travel-info/optional-service-fees.html:
One item of scuba diving equipment is defined as:

• One scuba tank (empty),
  • One scuba regulator,
  • One tank harness,
  • One tank pressure gauge,
  • One mask,
  • Two fins,
  • One snorkel,
  • One knife,
  • One spear gun and
  • One safety vest

Items of scuba diving equipment will not be included in determining the free baggage allowance.

• The equipment will always be subject to the excess baggage rate for a single piece whether or not presented as a single piece.
  • Regardless of actual dimensions the equipment will be considered to be one piece of a baggage whose outside linear dimension are 62 inches.
  • 100 % or single charge of the applicable excess baggage rate.
  • Applicable for travel on MH services between the USA/Canada and Malaysia only.
  • One item of scuba diving equipment will be included in determining the free baggage allowance. If exceeding, will be assessed 50% of the applicable rate for a single piece. Additional sets will be assessed the full applicable excess baggage rate for a single piece.

Back
Top Bottom