Kudos to Al Gore on his Nobel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well.....I think it's really great....and for the US as well. Al Gore is pretty much universally respected around the world. It makes a change to have someone like this in the news, compared to the somewhat less-respected figures that are there more often.

It helps restore a little balance. :wink:

Hats off to him...... :yelclap:

good point Kim... i would much prefer Al Gore and his veiws on the front pages than the news that paris hilton hasnt paid for her latest hair extensions

at least Gore's efforts (agree or disagree) has people talking about a important subject

Ya know he did win the election, but Florida f'd up....:28:

Kudos Al Gore.:)

kudos to those serving in our military :flag:

Well, at least dlndavid acknowledged his status by responding! I hadn't directed that at anyone in particular.

Let me add WHY I made that post. My statement had about as much intellectual rigor as the statements made by several posters in this thread. Very few of those mentioned substantive reasons why they thought Al Gore was undeserving or wrong on the issue.

I think the preponderence of the scientific evidence is there, and that the consensus on this issue is pretty clear. Heck, even the current administration has finally acknowledged it is a problem and they are not known for their belief in science.

Al Gore just got awarded the Nobel Peace prize (or at least half of it)

It's clear some don't like that but you know what? Get over it. This thread is to congratulate the man....not whine.

Walter... some time back the basis for the Nobel Peace Prize was expanded to include a much broader range of activities. I can't remember how it was specifically repositioned.

Since I am the OP on this thread, I'd like to ask that those of you who do NOT share my respect for Al Gore, science and the reality of anthropogenically-linked global warming, please refrain from posting here as this is for kudos. Start your own thread and I promise not to pay it any attention!

Anti-intellectualism has been rampant in America for a long time.

Like I said before.... i heard about global warming about 17 years ago and what the world needs to be doing to help slow down the process. I don't get why NOW it such a bigger concern and why Al Gore won for this. Had he been the person(s) to mention it decades ago and continued with it this whole time then he would be deserving. Shouldn't all the people who spread the word years ago be recognized?

I think Al has always recognized those that were involved in this issue long before he got actively involved. He points to Professor Roger Revelle as the source of his early understanding of this issue. There are many who have gone before him, most of whom published largely in peer-reviewed scientific journals which usually receive little attention from the media or the general public.

IMnsHO Gore is the one individual who has most successfully broadened the awareness of this issue taking it far beyond the realm of science and into the minds of the general public. In some respects one could view this the same way I view Bill Gates and the development of DOS. There were several OS'es before Gates, and Gates didn't even write the original version of the OS DOS is based on. However, his marketing skills did hammer us into accepting it as a "standard."

i think it is great he is donating his money back. that deserves a kudo's also!!

Well let's see - a career "politician" is awarded an honor that many consider "political" for his views and efforts to affect POLITICAL change in this country and worldwide.
Well....I guess that many consider he's trying to affect ENVIRONMENTAL change.

And why the Peace prize? Maybe because there's a recognition that if no one listens and the environment shifts in some of the predicted ways because of it - then the potential for future human conflict over both resources such as water, and simply living space are going to become very intense.

If it's possible to avert any of that it will absolutely contribute to Peace.

I'd consider that AL Gore was trying to affect POLITICAL change if he now declared his candidacy for the Presidential nominations (which I personal hope he does)

However - discussion of THAT topic is something else entirely and NOT what this thread is about.

This thread is about congratulating someone who won an accolade. Not whining because you think he shouldn't have, or didn't deserve it etc etc

DR Bill is quite correct - if you want to whine about this....go start a thread where it belongs....in Whine & Cheese....because it's perfectly obvious that there are large amounts of both flying around here! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom