Kudos to Al Gore on his Nobel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jon, As I mentioned previously, Gore readily acknowledges that he is by no means the first to deliver the message. He was first exposed to it by Prof. Roger Revelle about 40 years back. I don't think Al has actually done any scientific research recently into the issue. What he has done is packaged a presentation whioch has pulled much of the previous information together and presented it in a way that has helped clarify the issues for a much larger audiuence.

As for his personal carbon footprint, I think the energy use at his home has been overblown because it has compared the Gore residence with that of the residence for a comparably sized family. There is a lot more going on at the Gore home than family matters. It is also my understanding that he normally uses regularly scheduled commercial jets in most of his travel.

I find it very interesting that Gore (and Hilary Clinton) are viewed in such a polarized way.

What did he do for the environment when he was VP of the greatest nation on earth for 8 years?
Jon

FWIW
"The environment has been Gore's signature passion, both as vice president and as a senator and congressman from Tennessee. Gore beefed up on the imminent environmental crisis as a senator, becoming an expert on global warming, the depletion of the ozone layer, the destruction of rain forests, and new earth friendly technology. He penned the best-selling 1992 book, Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit. "

Gore was an advocate for the environment before anybody heard of him. If you weren't aware of his efforts during his two terms as Vice President, it's probably because more press was given to more serious national matters, like Monica Lewinsky than to side issues like saving our planet.

If VP Gore was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, he at least has used it in a life of public service, military, political, environmental. as opposed to (well, I can't think of any thing to say about the current VP that would'nt get toasted by a mod, so I'll shut up)

Due to the repeated need to have mods clean this thread up, I have agreed to having it closed. Before that is accomplishment, let me just say that the posters who could not keep their negative comments out of a kudos thread remind me of the attacks on Kerry, Clinton and others in addition to Gore. Why should anyone try to accomplish something positive, and ultimately more important to human survival than the quarterly (short-term) health of the economy. It saddens me and makes me consider leaving a country that has become so polarized that we can't rationally discuss anything (well, Jon did).

I stayed out of the kudos posts about right wing personalities (who in my mind are more interested in entertainment, and lining their own pockets, than in serious and substantive debate. Too bad those posters can't seem to show the same respect.

*** thread closed***

please note, this was not at the request of Dr Bill
but i offered to close it as this thread continues
to be hijacked despite requests to keep to the "kudos" part

sorry Dr Bill

... but at least i learnt that in another life, it could have been you and Tipper :wink:

cheers

:wavey:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom