Kwajalein Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Dauntless, Is it ever possible for non-military people to go and dive down there. I have a friend who is doing some contract work down there and has said that it's impossible. I would absolutely love to go there. I live in Hawaii. I have looked on the website for the Kwaj. diving club but haven't been able to contact anyone. Maybe you can answer my question.
Thanks! Christy

Disclaimer: Things may have changed.

After my time there in the 70's I returned 10 years later as a guest. My understanding is that you have to be invited by a resident. Given the nature of the work there security clearances were required. You are required to make a checkout dive with a KMR (Kwajalein Missle Range) registered Divemaster regardless of your cert. level. DOD/Army runs the show and sets their own rules.

KSC/KMR actually had Divemasters long before "Divemaster" became a certification. In 1976 I held the position of Chief Divemaster of KSC.

Islands - Kwajalein Aerial Reef Shot.jpg

I have a friend there now.... I asked him a while back and he said as long as you are "sponsored" by a resident (worker) there, that you can visit and he's invited me out several times.

just can't really do it as a "weekend trip", so I haven't gone. heh. that and airfare is $2k plus.

We have a son that is working for KMR as a firefighter, so we are going down in September as guests. Will be staying at the base as guests, also. We do have our AOW. Is that an issue? Our son just has his Open Water cert. He doesn't have any equipment yet so he has't joined the club. He will soon though.

We have a son that is working for KMR as a firefighter, so we are going down in September as guests. Will be staying at the base as guests, also. We do have our AOW. Is that an issue? Our son just has his Open Water cert. He doesn't have any equipment yet so he has't joined the club. He will soon though.

Your son can probably pick up some used gear locally, he can just start asking around the PDR (chow hall) for information. You and son will need advanced cert. so you can dive with other Kwaj divers, otherwise you will be limited by base regs to 60 ft (& they do take regs seriously - you can get voted off the island really quickly). Hopefully you have elite status with Continental or partner so you can take up to 70# dive gear as 2nd bag free. Don't take more than couple pairs of shorts and casual shirts. Laundry is available.

You will have the experience of a lifetime (if you prepare)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom