Ladies: Your Drysuit Base Layer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ladies, what is your go-to base layer?

I'm looking for something slick, as my current Fourth Element Xerotherms allow my Whites' Fusion Thermal under-layer to bunch and bind when I am putting it on.

There's Patagonia's Capilene fabric: Patagonia Women's Capilene® 1 Silkweight Baselayer Scoop

Under Armour is always a good go-to: Women's Under Armour Athletic Clothing, Running Shoes & Accessories | US

I have silk long johns from my skiing days.

I would really, really like something that could also be worn to the dive site, so I don't have to change. That's asking too much, probably.

The women's products are not made to accommodate any 'plumbing', but the men's garments don't come in small enough sizes.

So, what do you like, and why?

I use the heavy-weight garments from these folks: KAMgear The outer surface is smooth and the inner surface is fleece. They add a significant bit of additional insulation, and are much less expensive than what I used before, which was the 4th Element base layer. You can definitely wear them in a public setting, although if you don't want the exact contours of your heiny exposed to the world, throw a pair of shorts over the bottom half.

Reactions: Jax
I use the heavy-weight garments from these folks: KAMgear The outer surface is smooth and the inner surface is fleece. They add a significant bit of additional insulation, and are much less expensive than what I used before, which was the 4th Element base layer. You can definitely wear them in a public setting, although if you don't want the exact contours of your heiny exposed to the world, throw a pair of shorts over the bottom half.

Like this one? powerDRY ladies long sleeve crew

I'm currently talking to Helly Hansen about putting the line in my shop. Honestly...the dive industry didn't invent fleece or moisture transfer material...so looking to the outdoor industry for the base layers makes sense.

What I like about Helly is they have cute styles and colors. And maybe color isn't everything...but really...when I'm walking in for my morning coffee...do I have to be head to toe in black fleece so I look like I'm going to hold up the place?

Jax, I use the one with the zip . . . but they have a lightweight and a heavier weight fabric, and I don't see that option on the website. It might be worth calling them. I use the heavier weight material. Peter has a set of each.

Jax, I use the one with the zip . . . but they have a lightweight and a heavier weight fabric, and I don't see that option on the website. It might be worth calling them. I use the heavier weight material. Peter has a set of each.

Thank you! :hugs:

Jax, I use either the 1.0 or the 3.0 Underarmour Cold gear thermal shirts and pants under my various polartech layers. Ive gotten to where Im diving in both Underarmor layers and the polar vest only when it is warm outside and the water 70+.

What ever you use for a base layer make sure if wicks. Wicking undergarments increase my comfort diving dry. Ironicly the warmer the ambient temp the greater the need for wicking material.

If I can pop in here and ask... Are these the pants? POWERpants

I've been using the heavyweight spunsilk from Wintersilks. I see they also have a Techno-silk blend I haven't tried yet. I'm heading to Alaska in June and I'm looking to replace my base layer before that trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom