Lake Lanier, GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlaskaDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Eagle River, Alaska -> moved to Cape Cod, Mass
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We will be traveling through in the motorhome and are interested in diving Lake Lanier on Saturday 02/16. Can we get a motorhome in there safely? Where exactly is the best diving on the Lake? We are diving doubles and are in drysuits.

I would skip it this time. We have been in a moderate drought here in GA and Lanier is still quite low, even for winter levels. Another poster on this board said he tried it last weekend and the newly exposed shore makes for a very muddy/unsafe entry. Happy traveling!

Alaskadiver,
I would not recommend Lanier right now due to the low water conditions.
But, if you are coming down I85 you will be within 45 minutes of Lake Keowee or an hour of Lake Jocassee. You can contact Bill with Off the Wall Diving, Off The Wall Charters
and possibly set up a trip at either location. His boat trips are typically $30.00 at either locale. Jocassee has the graveyard and the wall dive. Keowee has the hot hole dive which is the discharge cooling tower water from the nuclear plant. You can do a board search for info on both locations. Have a safe trip and safe dives

Yeah, you probably wouldn't enjoy having to clean off the mud and muck from your wet/dry suit that you would get on it as you plodded your way to the water.

It can be a bit tricky getting to the water nowadays because of the low level of the lake and the resultant exposure of the mud and silt.

the K

It gives me a good excuse to not dive in 45 degree water wearing a wetsuit.

We decided not to dive Lake Lanier due to everyone's input above and instead went to Dive Haven in White, GA. After sitting through a few hours of heavy rain-filled series of thunderstorms we discovered that we could not leave the dive location. Our motorhome was stuck in the mud! We called a tow service and were out quickly, but the thing that got me the most was that we left without even getting in our Georgia dives. Such a bummer! I must say that at Dive Haven James Easley was very hospitable. We'll be back there this Fall or next winter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom