Lake Rawlings protecting from Millbrook Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do know your lake. My concern is that you say divers are educated and overboard policies are not needed, yet you have a $300 fine/violation for "brandishing" a knife .... Are these payable to you or is this some kind of deputized issue a citation and go to court kind of thing?

I'm also suprised that you would tell an insturctor to conceal a small knife in their BCD pocket when there is a $300 violation for that offense.

Well, then, welcome to our beautiful city on the Potomac, Doc (Imperial Capitol, to some). Don't miss the diving off the coast at OC or Indian River this summer. It's only about a 3 hour drive but bring your drysuit!

chrpai:
Doc-

I did a search in this group by your name and found no previous posts.
LOL, you aren't very good at searching...

http://www.scubaboard.com/search.php?searchid=138812
chrpai:
A quick check of their website and you would know that they have.
http://www.lakerawlings.com/scubadiving/index.htm
"WARNING! Dive knives are banned beyond the chain gate leading to the lake. A land violation carries a $150.00 fine; A diving violation carries a $300.00 fine. PLEASE DO NOT BE CAUGHT BRANDISHING OR CARRYING A DIVE KNIFE into the lake. We will have no choice but to issue a violation."
Have you ever contacted Rawlings about this policy? I did when I first heard about it and found their explanation quite satisfing.

Drew- I click your link and it says

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

I did a search on midatlantic divers, by name doc intrepid and ALL Dates.... the ONLY thread that came up was this one.

chrpai:
Drew- I click your link and it says
Works for me! :D

I did a search on midatlantic divers, by name doc intrepid and ALL Dates.... the ONLY thread that came up was this one.
Honestly, Chris... why do you care?

cleared from double post

Very cool thanks for the info... I wonder what the survivability of the larve is outside a maritime envrionment?

I guess I am still fuzy on why they don't let you take a dive knife.... I guess I just don't understand the issue that would cause them to put the ban in place. If it is as bad as stated earlier in the thread, anyone caught abusing the use there of should simply be banned permenently. Before it is said, true I don't know the quary there... maybe after 20-30 dives there and scouting every inch of the place I would say sure there is NOTHING that I could ever get caught on... however I doubt that to be the case and a few now seem to jepordize the safety of many. I view a dive knife much like I view an SPG, a tool critical for diving safely. Oh yeah I have never had it out of the sheath on a dive, and neither has one of my dive buddies, and he has over 200 dives. As I see it a freshwater dive site is still it's own eco system. (Even if man made) anyone going around and chopping things up I would have a pretty serious issue with and so should there dive buddy. Divers should treat it as such. Course the people doing that stuff are prob the same ones that go "Hey check out this awesome piece of coral I broke off." No, I am not ranting and yes I am sure I will see rawlings for the first time this summer.

thanks again for the info everyone!

CelticRavenVA:
Wow... first new thread in weeks here and it sure did get nasty fast in here....

Hey Don, so there are no knives in rawlings at all??? Or no knives that can be used to break up clams... Would seem to me that the safety of the mater would outway the handful of morons that feel the need to break and kill things...

More on the point, WTF is a zebra mussel and how would one live in my gear to get transported (still living) to another freshwater area?? We are asuming that all gear is washed and cleaned after each use like it is supposed to be.

Hi CelticRavenVA

here is a site I found that has info on zebra mussels. most likely more info than you want, but i found it informative. stay safe take care.

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/zebra.mussel/docs/sp_account.html

CelticRavenVA:
I guess I am still fuzy on why they don't let you take a dive knife.... I guess I just don't understand the issue that would cause them to put the ban in place.
QUOTE]

THe primary reason was mentioned very briefly. I just talked to someone yesterday about Rawlings and feeding the fish. I asked if there is anything they don't allow for feeding. (FYI hot dogs and Cheez Whiz are fish faves.) He said they only really have an issue if you break open a clam to feed the fish. If you decide you want to feed the fish and didn't bring anything you might think, "Hmm, maybe I can break open a clam and use that for food. What can I use? I know! I can use my knife!" :shakehead

Since a Z-knife or snips (both are allowed) don't work well for this but will cut a line effectively, why would anyone insist on having a traditional knife?

If you want to check out Lake Rawlings up close and personal, a few of us are heading up there on March 13 and again for the weekend of March 20-21 (camping).

No, you can't have knives, yes, it's kinda cold, yes, everyone is welcome to join us :) .

Back
Top Bottom