Lakes, and rumors of Lakes.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psiborg1812

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've read a lot of people on here say that they "heard such and such a place was a good dive spot", but they didn't know, or that "A friend told them " it was a good lake, but they haven't checked it out yet. So here's the deal. You tell me about a lake you have heard about but don't have the want or time to explore, and i'll go check it out and report back if it's diveable or not! As long as it's reasonably close to DFW (4-5 hours) then i'll dive it. I'm in need of some new dive sites anyways!

Thanks in advance!

The first thing my divemaster, told me after getting certified. You will about dive spots and rumors of dive spots, wrecks, treasures, etc. and a guy who heard about it from a friend who heard about this place.... don't ever believe them.

I've read a lot of people on here say that they "heard such and such a place was a good dive spot", but they didn't know, or that "A friend told them " it was a good lake, but they haven't checked it out yet. So here's the deal. You tell me about a lake you have heard about but don't have the want or time to explore, and i'll go check it out and report back if it's diveable or not! As long as it's reasonably close to DFW (4-5 hours) then i'll dive it. I'm in need of some new dive sites anyways!

Thanks in advance!

Just keep in mind, there is no unowned property. If you find a lead on a good dive spot, do some leg work to locate the owners and get permission. Offering to provide information about it can sometimes be an incentive for them to grant permission.

I remember this one time that we got permission from someone, only to find a Game Warden waiting to talk to us when we surfaced... :whistling:

Have fun, new sites can be exciting!

There is a tremendous amount of mis-information about Texas lakes, and diving, and diving conditions, and how those lakes are managed and regulated circulating on any number of Boards such as this one, as well as those associated with fishing and local interests. From my experience, the majority of "web-based" information is wrong and based on anecdotal, local information.

If you have questions about local conditions, contact the entity that owns the reservoir and the water right associated with that reservoir. You may find that reality, based on regulatory conditions, is not consistent with that which you will glean from the locals who may have a biased point of view.

Texas is undergoing an interesting hydrological period, in that we are schizophrenic about whether we are in a drought or not. My local rain gage had two inches in it when I got home tonight, but if I went 60 miles west, I may have been able to harvest spiders.

Here...take this....you'll need it....

CTDiver.jpg

I'd like to find some more good rivers to dive, seems to be better water overall than most lakes around here.

I admire your honesty in looking for new ponds but there are a few things to keep in mind.

As mentioned ownership of the land is primary concern a close second is water quality.
With advanced divers we often do not address water quality or what has been dumped into the water. If you dive strange water I recommend always clearing your ears with a wash or something like swim ear. Ear infections are no fun.

Happy hunting...
Andrew

On the subject of water quality, farms typically have multiple ponds (in the midwest, anyway). Some of these are freshwater for recreational use; others are "lagoons," where livestock waste is dumped so it can biodegrade. You do NOT want to jump into a lagoon.

Some good points in regards to water quality. Some nasty infections could result from diving in unknown places. Another good reason to seek permission and information.

Another concern could be entanglement hazards. Having a buddy could be an important point as well in this event. Plus, it's more fun sitting in jail with someone you know than by yourself. :)

If you are looking for sites I use Google Maps it provides views that you cannot get from the road or highway.

If you are looking for contact information for property you can use the tax assessors office for name and address. Its all pretty much online.

Another option is to ask friends about places they might have used as a teenager for a watering hole or swim area. Just don't expect alot as things change.

After that I find geologic information interesting- such as the Edwards Aquifer.
Or early settlements such as forts, missions and early towns- they all required a constant fresh water supply.

In closing- were does the porty potty material goes... in to a pond.

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom