Land-based Palau lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ellencarroll

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm joining some friends to dive in Palau soon and haven't seen any current postings related to land-based diving there. I was particularly interested in the logistics involved in staying at the Palau Pacific Resort and diving with Neco Marine or one of the other ops. I read a vague post on T.A. that the transit time from the resort to the dive op was very frustrating and ate up potential dive time (vs. a liveaboard I suppose). At any rate, I would love to hear from anyone who has any feedback or info. Thanks very much!

The time from the PPR to Sams or Neco Marine is maybe 15 minutes. Usually Sams picks you up in the boat at the PPR and then heads out to the dive sites....I'll be there in a couple of days!

The time from the PPR to Sams or Neco Marine is maybe 15 minutes. Usually Sams picks you up in the boat at the PPR and then heads out to the dive sites....I'll be there in a couple of days!
This is my first trip to Palau. Can you refer me to any of your posts or trip reports? Should I buy my own reef hook for Blue Corner? I read about that accident... Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Just do a search for Palau trip reports (sorry on a business comp. at the Marriott)...I probably have 4 or more reports posted.

I have to say that Fish N Fins is THE dive operation in Palau. They are not only the most environmentally conscious group there having established the Micronesian Shark Foundation, and helped the President create the only Shark Conservation area in the world, but are great people also!
They will pick you up, take care of all your needs from accommodation through to best dives.
I personally believe they are superior to Neco and definitely Sam's.
E-mail them and ask for NAVOT of TOVA. They're the owners and will be most helpful.
Tell them Max sent you :wink:

PS.
As to prerequisites ; you'll need a 2ml suit, reef hook available there, lots of sun tan lotion. Be fit for occasional currents.
You can look up any of my reviews over the last 2 years.:eyebrow:

Bring a rain poncho. . .the long boat ride out through the Rock Islands is one of the most beautiful scenics in the world, but can also be very rough & cold during rain squalls. You'll be eating Lunch on your SIT on one of islands out there.

Don't go there during X-mas or New Year's or any major Japanese Holiday (too crowded); also consider purchasing a PLB and canister just in case you drift out of sight on the surface. . .

HBO MD you say...."I have been diving with them I personally believe they are superior to Neco and definitely Sam's". I have been diving with Sams since 99 and always found them to be excellent. I have also dove with Neco once and they were good also. I have not dove with Fish and Fins... heard good things about them except they cater more to the Europeans than Americans.

tcdamsel...I have never worn anything more than a 1mm shorty and you can buy reef hook there around $10.

Liveaboards provide reef hooks (since you would have only one day of diving before being blown away); the land based guys don't?

Damsel, I'd expect the complaining was about the transit time from the land based shops down to the dive sites. As mentioned, I think it can be 1 hour each way... That's why liveaboards are popular. They anchor in German Channel and everything is 5 mins away. Only way to go for me. Everything else is for after diving.

Since you can get pushed into the reef by the current, I always wear a fullsuit.

PPR was nice when we were there.

Too bad Continental airfare has become such a killer. I can go for nearly 2 weeks to Indo for the same cost, but no sharks there. Palau is a must at least once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom