Land-based Palau lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Additionally, you just can't escape the fact that their outfit contributes tremendously to conservation and education in the area. Through their establishment of the Micronesian Shark Foundation, they go out to schools to try to prevent shark hunting etc.

Don't want to hijack the thread BUT...

FiNS Magazine | President Johnson Toribiong Declares Palau Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) a Shark Sanctuary at the United Nations General Assembly

I've heard nothing but good things about the 2 other big dive ops in Palau but I've always used Sam's. We travel with a large group, most times 2 to 3 full boats, they treat us well, we get back to the dock after sunset every day & I've seen every nook & cranny of the rock islands.

As far as the PPR, unless you have non divers with you, it's overkill, IMHO. I stayed there the last 2 trips to Palau & aside from sleepng there I didn't do very much. We're going back in September & are saving $1000 staying elsewhere.

Enjoy, Richie

Bubba, may I ask where you are staying this time around?

Sea Passion Hotel. Don't know much about it except it's $1000 less & we get free breakfast. Our trip leader checked the place out & said the rooms are large & clean. They also have a small beach, if that is a need. Their website isn't responding for me but here's something from Sam's

Sam's Tours: Palau Diving Micronesia Island Hopping

Quite a few people who were at Sams were staying at Sea Passion...They all loved it.

Sea Passion Hotel. Don't know much about it except it's $1000 less & we get free breakfast. Our trip leader checked the place out & said the rooms are large & clean. They also have a small beach, if that is a need. Their website isn't responding for me but here's something from Sam's

Sam's Tours: Palau Diving Micronesia Island Hopping

Quite a few people who were at Sams were staying at Sea Passion...They all loved it.

that sounds really nice. We might consider doing Palau land-based next trip, as long as we can work out the 3-dive days a few times. Is that hotel new or was it named something else before? I don't remember ever hearing about it.

We stayed one night at West Plaza by the Sea (after our liveaboard) and it was nice enough for us. It was pretty deserted though, don't know if that was normal or they get busier normally. We both thought that we could stay there a week with no problem. I think all the dive ops have packages for that hotel, too.

One couple on the liveaboard with us stayed a few nights at the place next door to Fish-n-fins, I think. They said it was pretty nice, plus the dive boats were right there and a restaurant. They only did a few days diving with them before flying back home to Thailand, and did a kayak tour with them to some outer islands and camped one night there which sounded fun.

robin:D

that sounds really nice. We might consider doing Palau land-based next trip, as long as we can work out the 3-dive days a few times. Is that hotel new or was it named something else before? I don't remember ever hearing about it.

We stayed one night at West Plaza by the Sea (after our liveaboard) and it was nice enough for us. It was pretty deserted though, don't know if that was normal or they get busier normally. We both thought that we could stay there a week with no problem. I think all the dive ops have packages for that hotel, too.

One couple on the liveaboard with us stayed a few nights at the place next door to Fish-n-fins, I think. They said it was pretty nice, plus the dive boats were right there and a restaurant. They only did a few days diving with them before flying back home to Thailand, and did a kayak tour with them to some outer islands and camped one night there which sounded fun.

robin:D

The Sea Passion opened last year and it is new. I stay at the West Plaza Malakal (walking distance to Bottom Time Bar and Grill and Sams) not far from the Sea Passion but the Sea Passion is around $40 more a night....everyone I've talked to say it is worth it...Since I am not entertaining anyone...WP works for me!

To guarantee a 3 tank dive day for next year I will prepay for my 3rd dive. This year finding more people doing the 3 tank dive i found they prepaid and I was on their boats...did not know you could do that.

travelnsj, first, I like your travel plans. I'll be retiring soon so I'll be needing some info from you. Raja Ampat & Lembeh are both on my short list. Second, it's nice to hear people are liking the Sea Passion Hotel. I have faith in the judgement of our leader, he's a lifelong friend & has never let us down.

The nice part of traveling with a large group is that 3rd dives can happen anytime we want. Those that don't want a 3rd, get on the other boat & see ya. However, we keep the cooler.

I was finally able to get the site to come up.

::: Palau Sea Passion Hotel :::

Don't you find the Sea Passion website pretty much useless? I can't really get anything out of it.

But we are staying there and diving with Sam's. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. I just finished the booking the flights for our Yap/Palau trip. Yowweee! That's a lot of money! Please don't tell me about some great deal, etc. NOW because that would just be cruel.

Anyway, curiously enough it's not the money which worries me the most, but the flights themselves. Flying from the East Coast, that's 24+ hours of travel, a whole lot of it crammed in coach. (No, we cannot afford first class and no, we don't have enough points or upgrades, etc.)

I wonder if any of the more experienced long-distance travelers here have any advice for that part of it? Sometimes I find these flights so uncomfortable that it's almost painful--particularly on the back and legs.:(

It's a long time until December, but after years of talking, reading, and dreaming about it, we are going! Yipppeeeeee!!!

The website needs more pictures. Remember, they opened in 2009.

If time is not an issue, see if you can change your flights to include an overnight in Hawaii, both ways. It may not (will not) help with jet lag on the way home but it breaks up the trip to 2 more managable halves. I've gone straight thru & it ain't fun, although going is more tolorable for some reason.

Hi - my wife and I want to go to Palau and ideally Yap for about 10-12 days in August. She only snorkels, so a livaboard isn't generally in the plan. :( So I'd appreciate any and all tips/suggestions for either place or other great dive/snorkel destinations we may have missed (been to Sipidan, Sulawesi and highly recommend both). Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom