Land-based Palau lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Travelinsj,
Yes, I know them very well.
You're right that they have numerous European tourists, but there are also Japanese, Americans, Aussies, Brits etc.
I have to say, I kind of like getting away for a new experience and learning about folks.
Also, I can tell you that their approach to safety is impeccable. Navot has a degree in marine engineering and he has set things up meticulously in terms of clean fills, boat servicing, dive guide standards etc.
Additionally, you just can't escape the fact that their outfit contributes tremendously to conservation and education in the area. Through their establishment of the Micronesian Shark Foundation, they go out to schools to try to prevent shark hunting etc. They are also collaborating with researchers from around the world to develop a better understanding of shark behaviour and preservation.
It was Tova and Navot who were instrumental in working with President Toribiong in establishing the Shark Conservation area also.
All in all, I would have to say it's a pretty clear choice for me.

Thanks, Kevrumbo.

Hmm...saw the land based diving packages were cheap but couldn't find a good deal on Cheapoair for ficticious dates, but I'll try that in future. But the flight time....argh, the shorter hops through Hawaii/Guam were easier on the behind. :)

Yea, Fish N Fins runs a top-notch operation. I've dove with them on three separate occasions now. If you have to go with a shore op, they're fantastic.

That said, I've done two liveaboards in Palau and that really is the way to go. With a shore op, you're going to be pressed to make 18 dives in a week. Last time I dove a liveaboard there (Ocean Hunter III) I made 28. It's a long, expensive flight to Palau and I really feel like I'm getting more for my money on a liveaboard when I'm hitting almost 30 dives in a week.

-Charles

Cool... my first post! Finally getting on board (no pun intended) with this thing. I have been traveling to Palau for more than a decade now, actually have made 15 trips there. Over the years I have dove with each of the 3 big operators one time or another. As always it will depend on who you talk to as to which one is the best. I've been diving with Sam's the past 10 years and returned from my latest trip there a month ago. For my money Sam's is the way to go. In the past 10 years or so I believe they have been voted #1 Dive Shop in the world twice... or something like that. The staff is incredible, very knowledgeable and a lot of fun! They remodeled the facilities a couple years back and have everything. Just my two cents. Have a great trip. If you want to contact Sam's ask for Dermot or Mark

yes, if you have the $$$ a liveaboard is the way to go. check my videos and trip report. We were there in Dec 2007.

as for the land-based ops, I have never heard anything bad about the 3 major ones there. All get good reviews. If you go land-based, be sure to get a reef hook as they are essential for several of the dives, like Blue Corner where you hook in and watch the "show". Best time to see all the sharks is Dec-Feb during shark mating season. :D

I've been going there for over 25 years, 2-3 times a year, (cause Guam's so close) so here's some info that might help.

-Sam's Tours is usually rated the #1 dive ops on Palau by a wide majority of divers coning from north America. Been diving with both Neco and FnF and both are very good also.

-If you go there during their busy season, which is usually most of the time except during the summer, get used to seeing LOTS of boats at every dive site, even the liveaboard boats. All of the dive ops go to the same dive sites, so if you can get on a boat leaving early, around 8am, your chance of having fewer boats at the destination is greater.

-water temps are 81-82 and above, but a 1mm suit is very good for protection from the "no seeums".

-As others have said, bring a good lightweight rain jacket with a hood on the boat. The open boats get very wet while transiting between sites. A small dry bag is very useful and can hold the jacket, sun screen, a camera, etc.

-Most of the ops give you a water bottle to take along.

-Staying at PPR does not cause any delays at all. Many of the ops will pick you up at the PPR dock. If someone's charging you more don't book with them.

-most of the dives begin with tying up to a buoy and entering, but almost all of em' are drift dives. I know this sounds kind of nuts, but take a look at what your boat looks like after you enter. When you surface there'll be quite a few boats that look almost exactly the same, and knowing which one is yours is nice to know.

-Getting there: If you can get to Manila there are 2 connecting flights each week on Continental that fly directly to Palau. Both of them depart in the evening (around 10) so if you can plan your trip to NOT overnight in Manila and connect to these all the better. This should give you more choices and may be more cost effective.

Your alternatives are Honolulu-Guam-Palau or Japan-Guam-Palau, all connecting without a layover. If your coming thru Guam I'd recommend a days layover to get yourself 'time and brain' unscrambled before going down to Palau.

-reef hooks are given out to all divers to use.

-Try and do at least one day of kayaking. You'll really enjoy it. Planet Blue Kayaking (also at Sam's) is the best.

-There a dive shop here on Guam that has a great travel desk with very low prices and can also get your ticketing from Manila (or from Guam) to and from Palau. I'd recommend you contact them as they send a ton of divers to Palau every year. They've got some of their packages here to give you an idea of the costs:
Guam & Micronesia Pacific Scuba Diving.

Hope this helps.

Guamrider, I wonder if you have ever dived Sam's "house reef?" I know it's mucky, but perhaps also interesting? I was thinking it might be an ideal place to do a dusk/night dive.

Also, I notice the hotel options offered by American dive travel agencies seem quite limited. I cannot justify the price for 2 rooms at PPR when we'll basically be there only to sleep. I've read good reviews of Sea Passion (next to Sam's, I believe) but it doesn't seem to be on the American radar. What gives?

Thanks, Travelnsj! So you think Sam's house reef is a good spot for a night dive?

How does the 2 dive vs. 3 dive work out? All the packages offered were for two dives a day--it does seem that if you are out that late, you should have time for an extra dive.

Thanks, Travelnsj! So you think Sam's house reef is a good spot for a night dive?

How does the 2 dive vs. 3 dive work out? All the packages offered were for two dives a day--it does seem that if you are out that late, you should have time for an extra dive.

Don't think it would be that great for a nite dive...sunset yes...vis pretty poor and not a lot of critters like Indonesia....could be wrong though.

Regarding the 3rd dive as my trip report says gotta see if you can be on a boat with people who want to do a 3rd dive. I think you can prepay for the 3rd dive ask them.

Back
Top Bottom