Land-based Palau lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

August?....like going to the Caribbean that time of the year a coin toss regarding the weather....long ways to go to chance it.

If time is not an issue, see if you can change your flights to include an overnight in Hawaii, both ways. It may not (will not) help with jet lag on the way home but it breaks up the trip to 2 more managable halves. I've gone straight thru & it ain't fun, although going is more tolorable for some reason.

Well, we've already bought our tickets (when you travel during the Christmas season, you have to book it way in advance.) So we are going straight through and am really dreading that part. So far, I've been told (or already knew) to take ambien during the longest leg, do exercises while sitting, get up frequently, don't drink alcohol/drink plenty of water, use moisturizer, etc. I've also heard advice to wear some sort of special hose to increase circulation? Anybody have any secrets for long-distance traveling they would like to share?

Anyway, would appreciate any extra suggestions--including things to pack that I wouldn't normally pack, if you see what I mean. Always thankful for travel tips from the guys who've been there!

BTW, are there any fish/reef creature guides for the area that you guys would recommend? I have the Humann/DeLoach Pacific guide, but find it way too broad.

Exactly how crazy of a concept is Palau in August? That would be our only shot at going this year... I don't mind the occasional rainstorm, keeps the heat down in my opinion, but can it really lessen the quality of the diving?

What would be better options for a comperable August dive trip? Would SE Asia be bad as well?

Hi, since I live out here (Guam) I'd like to add my 2 cents in. Actually, the "summer" here is a great time to come. Yes, we have very rare visits by storms, but they almost never go as far south as Palau.

The water conditions are very good, translation ..calm, because of the mild influence of the trade winds. I've been there over 70 times throughout the years and some of my best diving has been in the summer. There's also a very good chance that you can get specials from most of the dive/hotel operators as this is generally a slow season. It's also nice when you go to the dive sites and NOT see 15-20 other boats at the same site.

Good luck on your trip.

Back
Top Bottom