Lane's Cove Oct. 10 Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got back from work after a decent afternoon at Lane's Cove in Gloucester. Here's the 411.

FOR THOSE WITH SHORT ATTENTION SPANS:
Not-so-hot vis, 57 deg at 55', calm seas. A slightly easier version of Catherdal Rocks with different exposuer.

GENERAL SITE INFO:
If you're not familiar with Lane's Cove I'm told it's the Catherdal Rocks with a western exposure. Located about a mile south of Folly Cove off Rt 127. The site is not listed on the Cape Ann Divers website because the "locals" have the potential for being very hostile, but we had no problems with parking or locals. The drop off is not immediately upon entry but a short surface swim straight out, roughly 200 feet. You can easily get 15 feet about 40 feet from entry. The underwater terrian that we found was rather rolling, with each big roll decending another 8-10'. We got to 55'... it definitely goes to 65' possibly more. We dove 2 hours after high tide. The entry, in my opinion, is easier than Magnolia Rocks, with less of a schlep, but still the same rocky variety entry. I can't specifically compare with Catherdal since I haven't dove there yet. Best entry point seems to be towards the right end of the sea wall when facing the ocean. Watch out for the decent concentration of lobster pots.

OCT 10 SPECIFICS:
I dove with my new friend from Bermuda. He works as a divemaster there and is just getting into cold water diving. Twas the first time at the site for both of us.

Very calm sea, protected from today's easterly. 1' roller sets every now and then was the only action. No noticable surge. Visibility wasn't wonderful 10-15', down to 5-10' in several places, but getting to 20' towards the end of the dive, probably due to the tide going out. This did make it rather dark at 50', having lights was a good thing. Still very warm - 57 deg F at 55'. (It was colder at the shallower Folly Cove on Monday - 54 deg F at 27'). Surface swam out half way, worked deep, then back in gradually, surfacing 30' from entry point.

Sights were your typically rocky dive, although there were some sandy patches and therefore skate. Highlights were active lobsters, massive crab with 9" body, TONS of small fish especially down deep, abundant plant life, and groups of anemonae. <One of these days I'll get better at identification so I can be more specific>

Would have loved to do a second dive, but we got there late and I had to be a work tonight.:upset:

Can't wait to get out there again... hope you all get a chance to get wet this weekend while I'm at work. :puter:

-Mer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom