Larger anchors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are probably worth more sold by the pound for scrap iron and a lot easier to unload that way.

So Riverdiver, what DO you do with them?

Sell for scrap?

Put in your yard as a big lawn ornament?

Sell as anchors?
I can see going down to a marina and selling some anchors in the few hundred pound range, but managing to find buyers for those big guys has got to be challenging.

-----------------

The other thing I'm curious about is whether you do most of the work with lift bags; or if it is more a case of rigging lines, then using those lines to attach a larger winch cable and then hauling up the anchor with heavy equipment?

It looks like a real cool hobby!!!

Charlie Allen

This might be a silly question... How do you lose an anchor that size?

Another common way of losing both an anchor and all of the chain is to lose control of the chain while anchoring. The chain itself gets a lot of momentum going and if you don't get the brake set in time, or if the brake isn't working well, the chain will break a weak link at the end and go overboard.

Loss of an anchor and all chain is also common in loss-of-propulsion incidents. For example, a couple months ago a ship lost an anchor and chain in Cooper River near Charleston after losing propulsion. While the details weren't very clear on how the anchor and chain ended up getting lost, my bet is that the ship had way on when it lost propulsion and the anchor brake couldn't bring the ship to a full stop by the time they ran out of anchor chain.

A couple of times I was up on the forecastle when a 600' 11,000 ton ship anchored. Even a normal "controlled" anchoring is pretty exciting with many thousands of pounds of chain banging around. I much preferred my normal spot up on the bridge, where all I had to worry about was not running over other ships and staying in waters deeper than my 31' draft.

Last edited:
For starters the St. Clair River is under common law, the owner of the property has the rights to what ever is in front of his yard. This is stated from the State of Michigan, I have made many phone calls before we started to bring up the large items. I have also talked with my State Reps. on the subject. The St.Clair River is not any part of any prerserve. And is also called bottom lands. The shipping companies do not want the anchors and anchor chain in the river, because when they drop their anchors and it hooks another anchor that weighs 10,000 pounds plus 10,000 pounds of anchor chain their anchor is lost also. And the old saying is all so true,a chain is as only strong as it's weakest link, and that is how so many end up in the river. The river current is 6-8 mph where we do most of are diving, vis can get up to 50 feet at times and other times you can not see 6".

Ed

Attachments

• Anchornest.jpg
    Anchornest.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 89
For starters the St. Clair River is under common law, the owner of the property has the rights to what ever is in front of his yard. This is stated from the State of Michigan, I have made many phone calls before we started to bring up the large items. I have also talked with my State Reps. on the subject. The St.Clair River is not any part of any prerserve. And is also called bottom lands. The shipping companies do not want the anchors and anchor chain in the river, because when they drop their anchors and it hooks another anchor that weighs 10,000 pounds plus 10,000 pounds of anchor chain their anchor is lost also. And the old saying is all so true,a chain is as only strong as it's weakest link, and that is how so many end up in the river. The river current is 6-8 mph where we do most of are diving, vis can get up to 50 feet at times and other times you can not see 6".

Ed

Thanks for the info. Any luck selling any of these?

Riverdiver..very cool stuff! Would love to salvage something like that for my lawn one day..lol

Scrap iron isn't worth it for sure..10000lbs would get you about 250 bucks (here) if I recall the numbers right.

Bring em' south!!!!! Scrap steel is bout 18 cents a pound and regular old scrap metal is bout 8 cents a pound. But at that price considering diesel cost it wouldn't be worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom