Larger anchors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riverdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Here are some of the larger anchors that can be found in the St. Clair River. It is a big task bringing them up and transporting something that weighs 10,000 pounds.

Ed

Attachments

• DSCN5809.jpg
    DSCN5809.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Here are some of the larger anchors that can be found in the St. Clair River. It is a big task bringing them up and transporting something that weighs 10,000 pounds.

Ed

What kind of resale value are they worth?

My wife would so kill me if I borough something like that home with!!!!:D

can i ask why you think its your place to remove these?

are the achors part of a dive site that other divers frequent, is there marine life around the anchors now?

not picking a fight, im just curious

cheers

Nice!! How strong is the current the St. Clair and what is the viz typically?

can i ask why you think its your place to remove these?

are the achors part of a dive site that other divers frequent, is there marine life around the anchors now?

not picking a fight, im just curious

cheers

He needs to get permission to remove litter from a river bottom?

It's a lost anchor, come on.

The anchor in the picture hasn't spent much time on the bottom. It's still got paint on it. It's nothing different that recovering a piece of gear that went overboard.

I would think the original owners would pay a recovery fee to get those back.

Here are a couple links for those interested.
This link gives a good overview of shipwreck law in the Great Lakes with links to state laws.
This link is from Section 324.76110 of NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994. Not sure if it's applicable and am just providing the links for reference.

Not sure why a shipping company wouldn't pay to get this back. I assume for them it's cheaper to replace the anchor. Also not sure why the state would care about a lost anchor from a modern vessel. Either way there is some interesting reading there.

Not sure why a shipping company wouldn't pay to get this back. I assume for them it's cheaper to replace the anchor.

Yea I was curious....I would imagine they are expensive brand new and a used/recovered anchor might be a good purchase if it fit the needs of the vessel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom