Last minute cancellations and "no shows"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the topic of being blown out, I've been diving out of Morehead City for eight years or so. Something on the order of 75 dives or so in the area. Looking back over my log, I'd say my blow out rate is about 20% overall. I've been skunked twice in that time. But when it's good, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather dive. Saturday we had 60' of viz on the Naeco, 76 degree water, fish, sharks, and possibly the biggest turtle I've ever seen.

I love the Naeco! Theres still tons of lionfish on it, isnt there? I heard some of the radio chatter Saturday, glad to hear everything worked out.

The flip side to customer trying to cancel after seeing bad forcast on the internet is the operator that doesn't cancel until the last minute - notwithstanding weather forcasts and local knowledge telling him/her that the chances of actually diving are remote. Costs him nothing to wait until the last mninute to cancel.

Understnd the economics of a business, but as always, there is another side to this.

It may not be an "out of pocket" expense that day for the operator to wait until the last minute to cancel when chances of running are remote. But I don't know of a single (current) operator in NC who doesn't understand the value of a loyal, repeat customer. We are not going to risk losing your future business over a "remote" chance of getting out. Sometimes the call is just that hard to make inside 6-8 hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom