Late evening / Early morning bag drag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gopbroek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There have been a lot of threads about the bag drag from Cancun to Cozumel but one aspect that is not covered much is late Cancun arrivals and early Cancun departures. The last ferry to Cozumel is 11PM and the first out to Playa leaves at 05:45. This is problematic for flights into CUN after 8PM or leaving before 9AM. Here is some basic information I have learned and a trip report from recent trips:

Last August I was flying standby after work out of DFW and did not make the late afternoon flight but I got on the next one and did not get into CUN until 9:30 PM. I blew through customs and was on the street 10 minutes later. I then caught the 10PM ADO bus to Playa. I got to the pier at 23:12 and could see the last ferry in mid channel heading for Cozumel. No problem, I figured I grab a cheap room near the pier. Well…….., its not quite that simple. It seems that there are lots of cheap rooms nearby but they get rented out early in the evening. I was lucky to find the last room in a hotel six blocks away for about $90 after an hour of searching. 5 hours later I caught the ferry and made the morning dive.

This got me to thinking of downtown Cancun as an overnight option. The ADO bus to / from the airport to Cancun or Cancun to Playa is only $64MXN per trip (Playa to / from the airport, which is less distance, is $168MXN, you know, the Gringo tax). Hotels in the Cancun downtown area via Hotels.com seem to be very plentiful and cheap. The buses from Cancun into the airport start at 4:30 AM and at 5:00 AM to Playa (scheduled arrival in Playa is 06:20, which connects to the 06:45 ferry). From the airport to Cancun the buses run until Midnight.

The week before last I took the week off to attend my Nieces wedding in eastern Washington but I really did not need to show up until Wednesday evening for a Saturday wedding. I figured to sneak down and get a few days of diving in but my wife (who was heading up earlier) explained my life would be voided if I did not make it there by Wednesday. This meant the 6AM flight out of CUN to make it to Portland by midday. Last February I was in a similar situation and spent the night at the Comfort Inn outside of the airport, because of their free AM shuttle. Turns out it is in an industrial area near the airport entrance and the local Taxi mafia would not let them run into the airport and was forcing folks to take taxi’s at $15US a head. I figure this time I would try out the downtown Cancun option and relax the night prior.

This option worked very well. I took a leisurely trip on late Tuesday afternoon (after diving in the AM) to Playa on the 4PM ferry and caught the ADO bus to Cancun. It took about an hour and a half but it was at the peak traffic time in both Playa and Cancun so earlier or later would probably cut off 10 minutes. Comfortable ride but one point: some of the buses do a brief stop along the road across from a mall about a mile prior to the main terminal, do not get off there, the downtown terminal is a regular modern 10-15 lane bus terminal, there is no mistaking it.

I had looked on the various booking sites for a hotel near the bus terminal and saw several. I picked the Hotel Mayab for $28 USD ($34 with tax and fees) via Hotels.com but all the major booking services were showing the same prices. The hotel was ¼ of the way around the traffic circle in front of the ADO bus terminal, about a 3-5 minute walk in a busy well-lit area. The hotel was basic but very clean with AC and a nice shower area, and had a nice new flat screen TV with a digital Cablemas box so I could watch most channels in English, more than adequate for my needs and it appeared secure. The staff was very gracious, I would stay again in this hotel.

In the area there were many more hotels that did not show up on the hotel sites and they all seemed competitive and clean so I do not think availability is a problem unless there is a festival in the area. The terminal sits in the center of downtown about 2 blocks from the Municipal Palacio and Municipal Square in front of the Palacio (this was a week after Gritto Delores and the decorations were still up). Lots of restaurants in the area and a block and a half behind the hotel I found a nice park full of stalls and vendors, Parque del Artesano. It was a weekday night but it was like the Cozumel Municipal square on the weekend with lots of booths and kids on rental electric cars, I felt safe and secure.

In the morning I woke early and walked over to the terminal at 04:15 and bought a ticket for the 4:30 bus. Nice well-lit departure area with clear signage, a small snack bar has an expresso machine and they sold coffee made by the cup for $30MXN, being cheap I cringed, but it turned out to be excellent coffee and well worth it. The bus was slow, perhaps it was the driver who came to a complete stop prior to each Tope and then creeped over them. The schedule states 35 minutes and we reached terminal 3 (after first stopping at 1 & 2) at 06:12 I cannot complain about being late since we did make terminal 1 at 6AM. I had no problems making the flight since I did not have bags to check but for AA, at least, there is a 1 hour bag cut off for checked bags.

I talked with the AA counter rep and she told me that due to the airport procedures and equipment it really does take 40-45 minutes to move a bag from the counter to the plane. In retrospect, if I had bags to check and a flight time before 06:15 I would use a cab to get to the airport. After 06:15, no problem and next month when the US switches from Daylight to Standard time and Quintana Roo does not, the kickoff flight times will bump forward an hour to match their US connections so checked bag cut off will not be an issue until next spring.
In the future if I get in late and I cannot make the bus to Playa prior to 21:00, I plan to head for Cancun and catch the 05:00 bus in the morning. This should put me into Playa by 06:20, take the 06:45 ferry and go diving on the 8AM boat.

One piece of info I could use help with: does anyone know what the standard taxi rate is supposed to be from downtown Cancun to the airport, preferably in Pesos?

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I am flying into Cancun this December and am arriving late enough that I know I won't make the last ferry to Coz. I planned to book a room in Playa del Carmen before my departure and perhaps even stay a day or two before making my way to our home in Cozumel. The option you outlined for Cancun is another possibility (in fact, I had even thought of going there for the night, then heading to Isla Mujeres for a couple of days as an alternative since there is no particularly compelling reason for me to get to Cozumel outside of getting settled in for the winter.

great post and handy for us "draggers" to know. Thanks
Jay

OR pony up for my van guy. WAY faster than the bus.....
Last August I tried that but I did not know I was getting a seat until 5 minutes before departure. Van guy was already booked up.

OR pony up for my van guy. WAY faster than the bus.....

Kind of a function of the driver, no?

There was a trip on a colectivo from Playa to Tulum when we sat behind the driver at a diagonal, offering a clear view of the speedometer. We regularly hit 145 - 147 kph.

So yes, vans can be considerably faster, but not all of them are recent escapees.

A friend and I booked tickets from JFK-CZM thru MIA last February for Carnaval. Our flight left JFK late and so we missed our connection to Cozumel in Miami. We decided to just fly to Cancun and do the bag drag. We should have gotten there in time to get a ferry to Cozumel. The plan did not work as planned and we arrived in Cancun at 2:30AM.
The only helpful person at the airport was a van driver. He suggested a hotel close to the bus station in Cancun. He showed us where the bus station was and dropped us off at Hotel Alux. We were very grateful to that driver! He was dropping another passanger off at that hotel as well. It was very basic but clean included breakfast and less than a 5 minute walk with luggage to the bus station. It cost about $45us.
I would stay there again if I needed a place to stay because of a late arrival. No english spoken but it was safe and well located. Front desk is staffed 24 hours a day!

For some time now I've flown exclusively into Cancun and bag-dragged over. Price & availability are the main reasons. Plus I've found I like staying for a night or 2 in PdC... it's easy to bus to from the airport, I like stopping and recovering from the overnight flight (I red-eye from NorCal) and it's nice to be able to walk to the gorgeous beach. My favorite budget hotel is 4 blks from the beach, quiet, clean, has a pool +AC. As far as I'm concerned, when I get off the plane in Cancun & feel that tropical air, I'm on vacation.

When I'm researching flights I'm always looking at the times flying in & going out. You can pick & choose & still be economical. Kayak gives you filters to make it easy. I've found it works better for me to leave at night vs early in the AM from SFO - I can't get any sleep the night before to make such an early arrival at the airport. Also, I NEVER schedule a flight out of Cancun earlier than noon... usually more like 2pm-ish. That gives me plenty of time to ferry over, bus to the airport and get my luggage checked without having knots in my stomach. I haven't tried Mayair because I carry dive stuff = a big-ass bag + a carry on = $$$. I have stayed in downtown Cancun once & had a similar experience to Judy & gopbroek (^^). The park a couple blocks away from the bus station mentioned in the OP is quite sweet.

In the morning I woke early and walked over to the terminal at 04:15 and bought a ticket for the 4:30 bus. Nice well-lit departure area with clear signage, a small snack bar has an expresso machine and they sold coffee made by the cup for $30MXN, being cheap I cringed, but it turned out to be excellent coffee and well worth it. The bus was slow, perhaps it was the driver who came to a complete stop prior to each Tope and then creeped over them. The schedule states 35 minutes and we reached terminal 3 (after first stopping at 1 & 2) at 06:12 I cannot complain about being late since we did make terminal 1 at 6AM. I had no problems making the flight since I did not have bags to check but for AA, at least, there is a 1 hour bag cut off for checked bags.

How does it possibly take over 90 minutes to go from downtown Cancun to the airport? That's longer than the bus from PDC. The driver could stop at each tope, get out and have a cup of coffee and a cigarette, and still not take that much time.

How does it possibly take over 90 minutes to go from downtown Cancun to the airport? That's longer than the bus from PDC. The driver could stop at each tope, get out and have a cup of coffee and a cigarette, and still not take that much time.
Typo, 05:12, from the downtown terminal to the counter at terminal 3 was about 42 minutes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom