Late night quick meal near Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why? We've already given him 6 that aren't on the waterfront and I could probably rattle off 6 more but he's pretty much set for the week much less one night.
Because he's getting there in the middle of the Carnaval Parade and he is staying pretty much at Ground Zero for the street party. I've never been there during Carnaval, though; maybe getting away from it isn't all that hard. I've seen pictures, though...

Because he's getting there in the middle of the Carnaval Parade and he is staying pretty much at Ground Zero for the street party. I've never been there during Carnaval, though; maybe getting away from it isn't all that hard. I've seen pictures, though...

His front door is on Melgar. He's going to have to walk through it for a block to even get there. I've been there for Carnaval and the parades. Once you get to 10th you are away from it all. If anything, it's less busy because everyone is down on Melgar.

El Pique and Los Seras are popular local taquerias that are just hitting their stride around 10pm. Not touristy and are super cheap. Both are on 30th Ave. Los Seras is closest to CM on 30th Ave between calle 3 & 5, maybe a 10 minute walk. Go to the right from the CM door, the first right go up calle 5 to 30th, go left one block. El Pique is another 4-5 blocks down 30th, just past Benito Juarez. It's more than a 10 minute walk from CM, probably a taxi ride is in order, but worth it.

I gave you the "simple" directions but google can show you a slightly shorter route.

I can also second Casa Cuzamil.
Good luck getting a taxi in the area around Cass Mexicana. The whole downtown core will be packed on Tuesday night. Walking will be the ONLY way. Eat in Playa Del Carmen before ferry. Last sailing is 10pm. Anyone arriving Tuesday at night on ferry with luggage is not gonna have an easy time...

Good luck getting a taxi in the area around Cass Mexicana. The whole downtown core will be packed on Tuesday night. Walking will be the ONLY way. Eat in Playa Del Carmen before ferry. Last sailing is 10pm. Anyone arriving Tuesday at night on ferry with luggage is not gonna have an easy time...

Simply walk a few blocks away from Melgar and get a taxi. I've been there on parade night. How do you think all those people got there? But that's irrelevant because we gave plenty of places within walking distance.

Simply walk a few blocks away from Melgar and get a taxi. I've been there on parade night. How do you think all those people got there? But that's irrelevant because we gave plenty of places within walking distance.
Most people get there by driving. Every street back to 20-25 ave is packed with parked cars. People even block driveways with their cars. I lived downtown. It was a nightmare to get around during Carnaval. Pity Anyone arriving after 7 pm ferry on the last day of Carnaval, especially if you are packing luggage. It's gonna be a haul to find a taxi.

I think it is a great time to be there. The festivities are nice. Enjoy!

Wow, a lot of strong opinions! I've been in Coz for Carnaval before (unintentionally) and know the drill - my memory is that as soon as you get off Melgar, things are pretty chill, with an exponential falloff in crowds every 10 feet you walk away from the water.

I'm a little worried about the ferry being packed to the gills but hoping (maybe naively) that the 7 or 8pm ones won't be too bad since most partiers will already be on the island.

When I arrive I'm going to walk straight inland to 5th Ave and walk the long way to Casa Mexicana, circumventing the crowds except for the half block I have to walk on Melgar to get to the hotel. 10 min walk according to google, I have a rolling duffel, no biggie.

Thanks for all the food tips! Looking forward to those first tacos after a long day of travel...

Take some pics tonight so we can see who is right - those saying the whole city will be packed or those saying the crowds are mostly on Melgar.

Pity Anyone arriving after 7 pm ferry on the last day of Carnaval, especially if you are packing luggage.
Wouldn't that suck if you had to sit on the opposite side of CM and wait for the parade to finish before you could cross the street and get to your room. Ground Zero is an understatement for CM.

Reactions: JFS
Wouldn't that suck if you had to sit on the opposite side of CM and wait for the parade to finish before you could cross the street and get to your room. Ground Zero is an understatement for CM.

Or just walk across the street between floats/bands.

There are lots of breaks in the parade as different acts stop to perform.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom