Late night quick meal near Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't that suck if you had to sit on the opposite side of CM and wait for the parade to finish before you could cross the street and get to your room. Ground Zero is an understatement for CM.
Wow, a lot of strong opinions! I've been in Coz for Carnaval before (unintentionally) and know the drill - my memory is that as soon as you get off Melgar, things are pretty chill, with an exponential falloff in crowds every 10 feet you walk away from the water.

I'm a little worried about the ferry being packed to the gills but hoping (maybe naively) that the 7 or 8pm ones won't be too bad since most partiers will already be on the island.

When I arrive I'm going to walk straight inland to 5th Ave and walk the long way to Casa Mexicana, circumventing the crowds except for the half block I have to walk on Melgar to get to the hotel. 10 min walk according to google, I have a rolling duffel, no biggie.

Thanks for all the food tips! Looking forward to those first tacos after a long day of travel...
To get to 5th is gonna be packed. Once your there it shouldn't be too bad. Depending on the time. Be a good 20min walk from ferry.

Or just walk across the street between floats/bands.

There are lots of breaks in the parade as different acts stop to perform.
Having attended the 5 previous carnivals (missing it this year) it is pretty easy to cross between floats and they should have police at the end of the pier helping to keep a path open. I would go through the square to 5th avenue and the down to Calle 5 to bypass most of the crowd on Melgar. That leaves about 1/2 a block of crowed street to navigate.

Take some pics tonight so we can see who is right - those saying the whole city will be packed or those saying the crowds are mostly on Melgar.
There is no "right"; he will have a street party and parade to contend with that will likely present him with some challenges getting from the pier to the hotel and from the hotel to and from someplace to eat. How much of an issue it will be remains to be seen. One factor that may be in play is that since Carnaval isn't at the traditional time it may not be as well attended as it usually is.

There is no "right"; he will have a street party and parade to contend with that will likely present him with some challenges getting from the pier to the hotel and from the hotel to and from someplace to eat. How much of an issue it will be remains to be seen. One factor that may be in play is that since Carnaval isn't at the traditional time it may not be as well attended as it usually is.

Everyone agrees that Melgar will be a zoo and his hotel faces Melgar. But 10th Ave will either be also packed to the gills or the crowds will be mostly on Melgar.

Well, as of 6:30 there are maybe 20 people waiting for the 7pm ferry. Drama level: 0. Hoping for drama after the crossing for all you watching from home.

Well, as of 6:30 there are maybe 20 people waiting for the 7pm ferry. Drama level: 0. Hoping for drama after the crossing for all you watching from home.
When I was on Cozumel thee weeks ago many there were predicting a bit of a Carnaval Fizzle, since it will be seven or eight weeks late and hot already. You will see, of course.

Back
Top Bottom