Latest DAN Study Quantifies The Risks Of Mini Lobster Season Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNewsWire

Contributor
Reaction score
DAN-tile-ad-620x350-100x100.png
DAN-tile-ad-620x350-100x100.png
Mini-season, also known as “sport-season,” is an annual event that attracts thousands of divers to Florida to hunt lobster. Tragically, the season is tarnished by deaths that could have been prevented with better dive preparation and execution. In recent years, DAN has published research indicating an unexpectedly high incidence of diving deaths during the lobster…
The post Latest DAN Study Quantifies The Risks Of Mini Lobster Season Diving appeared first on DiveNewswire.

More...

Stupid chart.. you chance of dying is 10 times higher in mini-season....LOL.. maybe the divers who dive on mini-season are 10 X more likely to die than the average person who dives (or hunts) - but I really doubt my chance of dying goes up 10 fold, during the special 2 day period.

Mini-season brings out all the clowns and people who have not dove all year and now want to dive...It is a markedy different population who participates in mini-season.

Stupid chart.. you chance of dying is 10 times higher in mini-season....

Not to be crass, but if there are deaths during mini-season, every year, in Florida, in California, year in, year out... how did DAN's research determine that the incidence of deaths was "unexpectedly high" during lobster season?

I hear that DAN's next study is going to reveal an unexpectedly high incidence of bears s***ing in the woods.

Another round of made up stastics. They should put as much energy into finding how many divers are active and how many dives they make so they can actually give a real percentage of your real chance of dying while diving, then the increased risk during mini lobster season could be more accurate.

Under Hunting they manage to include Abalone diving, which is done freediving. I believe it has been over a decade since diving SCUBA for Abalone in SoCal was outlawed.

"Diving Death Row" point out that Ca and Fla have 62% of SCUBA fatalities. Perhaps 62% of US diving goes on there, I don't know and DAN is not telling because it would lessen the impact of the "statistic".

There are a lot of good reasons to discuss the dangers of hunting while diving, but using very questionable stastics to scare divers is not helping the discussion. Of course if divers scare easy it might work.

Bob
-----------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom