Latex Drysuit Seal Chafing Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions for products I could use to prevent chafing from my latex drysuit neck seal. I recently completed my advanced open water with a relatively new Whites drysuit (coldwater ocean) and after 3 days and five dives it look like someone tried to strangle me.

I had taken the suit out a couple of weeks earlier and noticed a bit of chafing after two dives but the five dives really did a number on my neck. Otherwise the suit is great. I don't want to use anything that might prematurely shorten the life of the seal.

Any suggestions?
I also had the same problem when I started diving. Seal wasn't too tight but I would get the same type of marks you described. It would take a week to heal sometimes after the chafing scabbed over. Tried baby powder no luck. Then a dive buddy suggested trying a few drops of seal saver before diving and no more problem. 1 application usually works for 2 dives I typically apply about 6 drops and make sure to get it all over the inside of the seal. The night before diving is when I do it at the same time as doing the zipper wax and also a couple of drops in the wrist seals too. Give it a try maybe it will work for you too.

Not only did bag balm prevent further chafing, but it actually seemed to help my neck heal, even though I was still diving intensively. This was on a four dive a day Channel Islands charter, where by the second day, I looked like someone had tried to strangle me.

Again, thanks for all the feedback. I'll post back after my next dive to pass along what worked (or didn't).

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom