Latex Neck Seal Repair - Help !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingLonghorn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in need of some help....Early this year my wife bought me a custom Whites Drysuit (I am 6' 7" 290 lbs) and unfortunately I have not been able to use it yet. I am leaving for the San Juan Islands, WA tomorrow and have made arrangements to take a drysuit class with Island Dive on Friday Harbor. The neck seal is a little tight so I was putting the neck seal around my tank to relax the neck seal a little. Well, I guess I didn't put enough lubricant and the seal tore about 2.5 inches.:(

Here is my dilemna, my flight is tomorrow and the dive shop (Island Dive) doesn't repair drysuits on site, and don't sell replacement neck seals. I will only be doing 2 dives and need a quick temporary fix. Is there any quick fix or repair kit that is readily available or any "creative" fix that you have used in the past?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Diving Longhorn: You are heading out to the San Juans for a great adventure. While you are waiting for a full replacement of your latex neck seal you may be able to get by using: www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Drysuits/Bioseal.htm

The bio-seal works well. It may save the day for your drysuit class this week. Even after the repair/replacement the bio-seal provides comfort, a better seal, etc.

Hope you find a good solution.

Dude
You are out of time!
One thing latex dose not have a memory,neoprene dose! don't dive the seal if its tight as it can kill you,first you pass out then you die!
3rd a major neck seal leak can really flood your suit! and thats real bad too!
Rent a dry suit in your size start calling,second cause your a bigger guy get the right size seal if latex have it trimmed by the dry suit shop guru! or if neoprene as it keeps your neck warm and dose have a memory and can be repaired=Aqua seal to the rescue!

Man I love Friday Harbor and all the out Islands TOO!,love the bar on the hill as you get off the ferry with the bullet hole in the glass mirror,that was the bartenders last day! Been to the Island many times as my B-Law owned the local Island Airline
Good luck!
Dive safe,
Brad

Mike, we've done emergency neck seal repair by patching the tear with a piece of latex seal matterial just like you would patch a bike tire. Use bike tube cement & rough up the area to be patched with sandpaper. Rough up the patch piece too. You'll have to rough up the seal carefully since I assume the tear goes to the edge of the seal. Clean with toluene (sp?) after roughing. This is important. When dry, coat both surfaces (seal and patch) with glue & let the glue dry before putting the patch on. Then apply the patch. Use a $1 wooden roller from the hardware store to work that patch down good. Work from the center outward. Working the roller from end-to-end is bad and can actually stretch and peel up the patch. When you're all done dust it with talc to deactivate the exposed glue. Trim the patch so it matches the leading-edge of the seal. Done.

I hope you read this before you leave because I'm confident you can get your suit servicable for your trip. I've seen this type of repair used on tears as long as 3 inches. You'll still want to get a new seal, but it should get you through your trip.

-Ben M.

Thanks to all, especially your airsix...I kinda thought something like that would work, but wanted to see what else might be available. Thanks again !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom