lavacore options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pediatron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be diving in Cozumel in February and was looking for a core warming option under my 5mm Henderson Hyperstretch. I tend to chill easily and dry suits are not an option. I am also not interested in a hooded vest (very sensitive neck and don't like anything super tight around it). I have heard good things about lavacore but notice they have a lot of options. I was considering the long sleeve top, but even that has 3 different material types. I have to admit I do tend to pee in my wetsuit when cold or on long dives and am a bit worried even with just a lavacore shirt about "stinking it up."
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My other half & I did a lavacore full suits in Coz just last November & it was great. Stayed warm the entire week of diving & theyre nuetral, we didnt need another layer.
You can easily use it under your wetsuit.
Mens Full Suit

Anyone know if the lavacore is enough for December diving? We wore them in August and love the suit.

While not lavacore I wore a Thermpcline explorer + top 2pc in Turks last Dec and froze. Knew I had made a mistake in the first minute in the water. Wore it under a rental 3mm, was ok but not great. Taking my 7mm and explorer this trip. Never expected the water to be that cool over the holidays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
80f. Doesn't sound cold as I type this but I was cold. Towards the end of our trip the op didn't guarantee a full or shorty 3mm and the last day I was late to the wetsuit rack
and ended up with a shorty. Brrrrrr!! The Thermocline believe is the same material as lavacore, if so it gets stinky fast! And I didn't pee in it either (noting the coz thread).

Being cold most of the time burned up my air supply, not this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just came back from several dives on Molokai and Oahu where the water temp was ~80*F. Down to 49' the long sleeved hooded LavaCore was plenty warm after a 48min shore dive. FWIW, the hood is quite soft and I dove with it donned over my head or just resting around my neck... comfortable either way. For dives below 100' I combined it with my shorty 5mm Henderson Hyperstretch... made for a great combo especially for those 3 tank boat dives. The LavaCore does get smelly so make sure to rinse it well after a dive. GL and safe diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom