Lawyer fishing for business: Yukon dive fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I just saw this on a law firm blog and it really sounds like he is encouraging the suit. I remember the accident discussion http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...477-female-diver-missing-yukon-san-diego.html but I don't recall if the actual cause was established. If her BC failed, I would question if she tested it before the dive, if she tested weight releases, if she carried cutting tools essential for wreck diving, and if she dumped weights - which this lawyer does not.

Marine suffers wrongful death in California scuba dive? | Los Angeles Personal Injury Lawyer Blog
On behalf of Girardi Keese posted in Recreational Activities on Friday, December 28, 2012
When California residents engage in recreational activities, they rarely expect that a carefree moment could turn into a fatal tragedy. Unfortunately, though, that is just what happened to one 26-year-old Marine who was taking part in a recent scuba diving expedition. The outing, which was likely meant to be a pleasant diversion, took a turn for the tragic and left the woman dead after an apparent equipment malfunction. Such a fatal recreational accident could cause family members who have unexpectedly lost a loved one to consider whether they should pursue a wrongful death lawsuit.
Reports indicate that the Marine who lost her life was an avid athlete who enjoyed the outdoors and was also a dedicated soldier. Her unexpected death has left many of her friends, colleagues and relatives confused as to how such a tragedy could occur. Initial reports indicated that the woman was diving with several other people on a sunken destroyer ship.
The group who was involved in the dive included the Marine along with a dive instructor and three fellow diving students. According to at least one account, trouble struck in the form of a mechanical failure when the woman's buoyancy system stopped working properly. The dive master reported that he did his best to save the woman by grabbing onto her and trying to use his buoyancy compensator to keep them both afloat. Unfortunately, this effort failed and the two went speeding in different directions; he toward the surface and she deeper into the water.
This California diving accident has left a family to mourn the unexpected loss of a loved one who seemingly had a bright future ahead of her. In such cases, some families may choose to file a wrongful death lawsuit in order to gain the answers they need to what exactly happened. If negligence is established, a successful litigation can also provide them the opportunity to gain financial restitution to help cover funeral or other expenses related to the death of their loved one.

Did they ever establish the failure mode?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fishing for business is an insult to fisherman… dredging, as in the mud under whale poop, is more accurate.

Hey, wait a minute. I've supported dredging operations. This is on the order of mining in septic tanks... :)

I was going to leave a comment on his blog, but as low as he is, he will probably sue me for defamation of character. However in reality anything I say, no matter how dispicable, would be a complement to him.

I am so happy that I never have to take responsibility for my own actions. Whether in life or death, there will always be someone to champion my cause and standing as a victim. There will will always be someone to point the finger of blame away from me. Just remember, whatever happens to me, it was not my fault!

I am so happy that I never have to take responsibility for my own actions. Whether in life or death, there will always be someone to champion my cause and standing as a victim. There will will always be someone to point the finger of blame away from me. Just remember, whatever happens to me, it was not my fault!

Sounds like the school I taught in! I hated it so much I've quit to drive OTR!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can I sue him for calling a Marine "a soldier"?

Sure you can sue. Winning is another matter unless the judge is a retired JAG officer. You are certainly justified in slapping him up the back of the head. Even an ex-squid like me would never be that rude. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom